• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor creating a flood zone in my back yard

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fgs

What is the name of your state? AL
A storm drain was installed by the city on the left side of my property next to my driveway. That area is considered to be an easement. The rain water from the street in front of my house runs through this drain to an underground pipe under a private road at the edge of my property and then dumps into a large open ditch. Last week most of the trees in what was once a wooded area were removed, the drain beneath the private street was removed, and the open ditch is in the process of being filled. The problem is that with the removal of the underground pipe, all of the water that accumulates on my street is now going to pour into my back yard without any kind of outlet and turn my back yard into a flood zone. I would like to know what if anything I can do about this. Thank you in advance for your input.

i'd call the city and tell them the drain they put in was removed by your neighbor. if it is a true easement, the neighbors are in violation of the easement agreement. if your house is damaged, you may be able to sue your neighbors or whoever took out the drain. in the meantime, make up some sandbags to protect your house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">