• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbor cut down trees & bushes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Varmus

What is the name of your state? MO

We have been living in our house for about six years. A big reason we bought this house was because it had a private backyard in the summer. A few days ago, our new neighbor cut down all of the trees and bushes along our boundary that provided this screening. The roots from the biggest trees are on his land (by about a foot), but some smaller bushes that he cut were on our side. We now have a clear view of houses that we could not see at all before. It will cost us a few thousand dollars to replace what he tore down, but it never will look the same. Is what he did legal?

FlyingRon

If he cut down stuff that was on your land then no it is not legal. He can trim back roots and branches that overhang from your trees to his land. Are you sure you know where the boundary is, it may take a survey.

JohnBLZ

If he cut down stuff that was on your land then no it is not legal. He can trim back roots and branches that overhang from your trees to his land. Are you sure you know where the boundary is, it may take a survey.

Agreed, but he/she cannot do anything to materially damage (IE Kill) your trees/bushes.

nextwife

He certainly has every right to cut down any buses or trees on HIS side on the lot line, regardless of how much you liked his trees when you decided to buy there. You can now plant whatever type of screening you wish on your side of the lot line. He'd be liable for removing any that were proved to be inside your lot line, but you must decide if the resulting animosity is worth any dollars you might recover.

BL

We have been living in our house for about six years. A big reason we bought this house was because it had a private backyard in the summer. A few days ago, our new neighbor cut down all of the trees and bushes along our boundary that provided this screening. The roots from the biggest trees are on his land (by about a foot), but some smaller bushes that he cut were on our side. We now have a clear view of houses that we could not see at all before. It will cost us a few thousand dollars to replace what he tore down, but it never will look the same. Is what he did legal?
Know where your bounties are before taking any action .

If in fact those bushes and trees "appear" to have been on your side , you could start off by politely calling on your new neighbor personally , or in writing .

State that it " appears " there was a mistake in removing the trees and bushes and request to compare survey boundaries .

If in fact you neighbor is at fault , get an estimate of what the trees and bushes were worth along with the labor cost it would take plant of like items , and politely request your neighbor to compensate you .

If it's not clear whom owned them , then try to be neighborly and compromise .

Varmus

Know where your bounties are before taking any action .

If in fact those bushes and trees "appear" to have been on your side , you could start off by politely calling on your new neighbor personally , or in writing .

State that it " appears " there was a mistake in removing the trees and bushes and request to compare survey boundaries .

If in fact you neighbor is at fault , get an estimate of what the trees and bushes were worth along with the labor cost it would take plant of like items , and politely request your neighbor to compensate you .

If it's not clear whom owned them , then try to be neighborly and compromise .
Money is not the real issue for us. He did not ask me whether we had a problem with him destroying our privacy. This is not the first time he has been inconsiderate of his neighbors. Why should we now be nice to him? I think he needs to be taken down a notch.

VeronicaLodge

well if the trees were on his land, then he can take them down if wants and he doesn't have to worry about your privacy or concerns, are you sure he is the one that needs to be taken down a notch?

enjay

This is not the first time he has been inconsiderate of his neighbors. Why should we now be nice to him? I think he needs to be taken down a notch.
Because life is short and unless one of you moves you will be neighbors for a long time. You can either take the high road and try to come to a compromise or continue a war that will cost you lots of money and cause you lots of aggravation. Is it worth it?

nextwife

Money is not the real issue for us. He did not ask me whether we had a problem with him destroying our privacy. This is not the first time he has been inconsiderate of his neighbors. Why should we now be nice to him? I think he needs to be taken down a notch.
Hello??? Any tree or shrubs on HIS land is totally HIS decision to remove. He is NOT responsible to insure YOUR privacy by retaining what YOU want him to on HIS land! And certainly not responsible to consult you about what he does about any of the trees on HIS property.

weatherman

1st find out for sure where the property line is and if in fact the trees & shrubs were on your property he would be responsible, call a nursery and get a price for replacing the trees and shrubs and don't forget to tell them how tall and the age they were. you are entitled to the full replacement value to the age of your property. I went through this in the ninties in Atlanta Ga. He removed a fence and trees that he thought were on his property. That little mistake cost him $15.000 bucks. The fence was a privacey fence for a pool I had and the trees and shrubs were planted when the house was built in 1980.

Searchertwin

Hello??? Any tree or shrubs on HIS land is totally HIS decision to remove. He is NOT responsible to insure YOUR privacy by retaining what YOU want him to on HIS land! And certainly not responsible to consult you about what he does about any of the trees on HIS property.
I agree with you. It's a shame that you have to argue about it...I wonder what I would do in that situation. I do know that even if the tree is on your property and the branches hang onto another property, that person has every right to cut those branches down, only to the boundary lines...like the electric company cutting back trees near lines...keep that in mind when planting new ones....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">