• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor cut my tree on my land

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

txdogmom

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

I have searched this site and I am aware that my neighbor has every right to cut tree branches that overhang onto his property - but only up to the property line. During this holiday weekend, just before I left on Saturday morning, my neighbor went on one of his tree cutting binges and "trimmed" trees on his property. (He gets chainsaw happy and some of trees now look like a stalk of broccoli.) When I returned that evening, there were many maple tree branches in a large pile on his driveway. I didn't think anything of it because he has a maple tree in his back yard and assumed that they were from his tree. Yesterday, I noticed that a number of branches of my maple had been recently cut. A few were to the property line but most were 1-3 feet on my side. He did such a bad job of cutting that he ripped the bark back on some of the branches he cut. I doubt his "trimming" will kill the tree and I am sure the damage he did by his crummy cutting job will eventually be less noticeable.

I would prefer not to go to court about this for a couple of reasons, one - I'd like to try and stay on good terms and two, I am not sure what I could sue for; the damage to the tree is not going to kill it so I don't know if I can sue just because he trespassed on my property and vandalized my trees. I have not made an attempt to talk to him yet as I was extremely upset and did not want to say things I'd regret.

My questions:
If the verbal conversation does not go well, what is my next step? Do I need a cease and desist letter? Can I write it myself or do I need a lawyer? Do I need a police report? If he continues to cut trees on my property, how do I determine damages?

BelizeBreeze

txdogmom said:
What is the name of your state?What

My questions:
If the verbal conversation does not go well, what is my next step? Do I need a cease and desist letter? Can I write it myself or do I need a lawyer? Do I need a police report? If he continues to cut trees on my property, how do I determine damages?
You have three options:

1. Chainsaws at 20 paces.

2. Cut (trim) him as he did your tree, or;

3. Write him a cease and desist letter, certified (RRR) telling him to immediately stop tresspassing upon your property or you will have no recourse but to inform the proper authorities, (police) at which time you will file destruction of private property charges against him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">