• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor cut my trees w/ out permission.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

miken32

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI
I have a 5 acre peice of property in Michigan that is all woods (1.5 acre of the 5) and wetlands (3.5 acre of the 5). My neighbor that I have never met cut down at least 30-40 large trees (25 feet tall or larger) while clearing out trees from his property. I lost a sale of the property due to this problem. What can I do in court to have him pay for the cut trees? Is there any dollar amount per tree that the court uses or is it a judgement call? Thanks

FarmerJ

See the police dept and file a report about the timber theft/ damage to your property and take pics of the damage as well. Find a aborist to help you determine the value of the trees and bring a copy of your survey with ??? when you speak to a atty to get the best possible advice on how to proceed.

154NH773

I agree with Farmer. The wilful cutting of timber is a misdemeanor in Michigan. See:

750.546 Wilful trespass; by cutting or destroying property.
Sec. 546. Wilful trespass by cutting or destroying wood, gravel, grain, etc.—Any person who shall wilfully
commit any trespass, by cutting down or destroying any timber or wood, standing or growing on the land of
another, or by carrying away any kind of timber or wood, cut down or lying on such land, or by digging up or
carrying away any stone, ore, gravel, clay, sand, turf or mould from such land, or any roots, fruit or plant there
being, or by cutting down or carrying away any grass, hay, or any kind of grain standing, growing or being on
such land, or by carrying away from any wharf or landing place, railroad depot or warehouse, any goods
whatever in which he has no interest or property, without the license of the owner, of the value of 5 dollars or
more, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

Fully document by photographing the cutting, and have a licensed forester survey and estimate the value of the timber that was taken.

I had a friend that sued over just such a cutting in New York state, and collected a good sized judgment.

In my state, by law, you can collect several times the value of the timber.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">