• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbor demanding I remove 2 trees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Florence009

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Next door neighbor demanding thru attorney I remove 2 trees on my property indicating they might damage his property or cause injury. Letter states trees have dead branches.

Letter inaccurate. Trees are on good condition having been recently pruned.

Letter from attorney is serving notice that trees are a danger.

Basically this is harrassment -- but I need to protect myself.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Next door neighbor demanding thru attorney I remove 2 trees on my property indicating they might damage his property or cause injury. Letter states trees have dead branches.

Basically this is harrassment -- but I need to protect myself.
**A: hire a certified arborist to inspect the trees and provide you with a written report. Contact your insurance agent.

csi7

Also take dated, timed pictures as well. Take views from all four directions, just below the center, and also from a distance to show the property line distance from tree.

csi7

Wrong sometimes, that is exactly how to continue adding problems, instead of solving them. Next door neighbors can make life miserable through daily pranks, so it's easier, safer, and more fun to treat them with kindness and legally.

Wrong sometimes, that is exactly how to continue adding problems, instead of solving them. Next door neighbors can make life miserable through daily pranks, so it's easier, safer, and more fun to treat them with kindness and legally.
Its clear from the OP's post that an amicable solution is not in the cards. It is unfortunate.

ecmst12

The neighbor is not breaking the law. Tossing trash into someone else's yard would be. Stop giving bad advice.

OP does not need to respond to this letter at all.

dan6924

trees

If the trees are in good condition I don't think there is a problem. Were they to cause damage because you neglected to fix obvious problem brought to your attention you could be liable.

drewguy

If they have been recently pruned, get confirmation from the tree people who did the work that part of their work involves inspecting the trees for dead branches. Save the letter and the receipt for the work.

Tell the neighbor, either orally or by letter, that you have recently had the trees inspected and properly pruned.

Having a lawyer send you a letter doesn't do much good for them if the trees are in fact healthy.

lizjimbo

Neighbor is establishing a basis for lawsuit

Get the arborist to write a report about the condition of the trees. Send a copy to the neighbor and the neighbors lawyer. If you have a lawyer, send them a copy as well. If the tree is in danger of falling over based on the arborists report you will need to get the tree out as you have now been made aware of an imminent danger and your disregard could be seen as reckless and negligent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">