• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor denying access to power line w/o restrictions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gsignori

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
I own 4 acres in a rural part of upstate NY (Hector, NY). I am building a small cabin on the land, so I submitted a new construction service request with NY State Electric and Gas (NYSEG). They gave me two options. Option 1 is $0 because the closest power line is within the complimentary 500 feet that NYSEG gives each customer. Option 2 is $27,000 because they have to bring the power lines up 2700 feet. My issue is option 1 requires my neighbor to sell NYSEG the land on which the closest electric pole is located in order to make it a public easement. There are three neighbors total that currently don't have electricity that would like to hook up to this electric pole, but the neighbor with the land is refusing to sell the easment to NYSEG unless all three of us agree to sign a legal document stating we will never build more than a single structure on each of our lands. His goal is to limit development in the neighborhood. I personally would like to build a cabin, a guest cabin and a garage on my four acres, so I disagreed to this requirement. Is my only option to pay NYSEG the $27,000 to bring in electricity from 0.5 a mile away? My two neighbors who were also restricted are now installing solar electric systems but still have hopes of hooking up to the grid but are not willing to split the $27K with me. This is a seasonal residence for me, so solar electric is not ideal. Thanks, GinaWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
I own 4 acres in a rural part of upstate NY (Hector, NY). I am building a small cabin on the land, so I submitted a new construction service request with NY State Electric and Gas (NYSEG). They gave me two options. Option 1 is $0 because the closest power line is within the complimentary 500 feet that NYSEG gives each customer. Option 2 is $27,000 because they have to bring the power lines up 2700 feet. My issue is option 1 requires my neighbor to sell NYSEG the land on which to closet electric pole is located in order to make it a public easement. There are three neighbors total that currently don't have electricity that would like to hook up to this electric pole, but the neighbor with the land is refusing to sell the easment to NYSEG unless all three of us agree to sign a legal document stating we will never build more than a single structure on each of our lands. His goal is to limit development in the neighborhood. I personally would like to build a cabin, a guest cabin and a garage on my four acres, so I disagreed to this requirement. Is my only option to pay NYSEG the $27,000 to bring in electricity from 0.5 a mile away? My two neighbors who were also restricted are now installing solar electric systems but still have hopes of hooking up to the grid but are not willing to split the $27K with me. This is a seasonal residence for me, so solar electric is not ideal. Thanks, GinaWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Neighbor denying access to power line w/o restrictions

answered in the post above

GinaWhat, stop double posting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">