• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor destroying property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

g2ny

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

Recently a new neighbor moved in next door and within a few days I witnessed him pouring some chemical onto my lawn. When I confronted him, he claimed it was water but a few days later all the grass in that area died. I let it go. However, he now has parked his trailer hitch on my property and refuses to move it. I've asked him several times to move it because it's parked right on top of my garden. He refuesed. I called the city but they said they could only issue a complaint. I was wondering if I could now go to the police over this issue or if this is something that is now a legal issue and I need to hire a lawyer? Or how can I proceed because he's destroying my property and refuses to do anything about it.

CraigFL

Good fences make good neighbors. I've never had any good luck trying to convince a neighbor not to do something unless the fence reminds them. Put up an 8 foot high fence and all(most?) goes away...

justalayman

Yes, you can call the police for the trespass (the trailer) and the trespass (pouring whatever on your lawn) and the destruction of your property (killed your grass).

shouldn't have to hire a lawyer to have those laws enforced.

suing for the damages would likely be small claims and such courts are designed to not really need a lawyer, and in some states, a lawyer is not even allowed to represent a party.

FarmerJ

Food for thought, even if you had to pay a fee do you think you might be able to find a testing service to find out exactly what it was that was killed the grasses ? If your not willing to go that far perhaps your police dept can be of assistance to get him to move the trailer. If not then get a survey that shows the encroachment and begin to fence in your property, It wouldnt be a bad choice to send to him a certified letter giving him a short time to move the trailer and if he still doesnt to move it your self and finish the fence. ( how high does your city /county zoning rules permit you to go ? and do they permit barbed wire fencing ? )

milspecgirl

ummm. move it yourself, if it's on your property. We had neighbors that kept flicking their cigarette butts over our fence and onto our driveway. After exhausting all other options, I started collecting them and one day when she left the windows down on her car, I kindly deposited her property right onto her drivers seat. haven't seen a butt since.

unknown81

Oh my, I thought my family were the only ones who had circus freaks living next to us but hearing all of these other posts, I am pissed but at the same time I relieved to know that there are others that feel my pain. I will remember the cigarette butt trick next time. As for g2ny, I would definately agree with justalayman's advice. Having to put up a fence would be ideal but it shouldn't be at your cost. Its your property so you could even have the trailer towed out of your property. Good, respectful neighbors are hard to find. It's a shame to know the percentage of idiots that exist in the world.

FarmerJ

UNK this thread is from last summer its considered necroposting , like trying to revive the dead LOL.

yushap22

I would just call and have the trailer towed away or sold. In some states if you leave vehicles just sitting on the street for a few days its towed. Why not just try putting it in the street?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">