• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor Disconnected My Water Line

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

artms

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I live in a rural area.For at over 50 years my water line has come from a spring to my water tank on my property. The spring is not on my property but it serves several properties with deeded rights. Years ago a neighbor tapped into my line for their use. This was an informal agreement we had. I had no problem with them teeing off of my line for their water delivery. After all these years I believe it's grandfathered. They then sold the property.
I am not friendly with the current neighbors and they are currently dealing with multiple code violations with the county.
Several years ago the current owners installed a small filtration tank on my property. I recently asked them to move it to their side of the fence with the assurance that they would not interrupt the flow to my tank. They now believe the water line is theirs alone.
I went up to check the line to my tank and they had disconnected it and closed the valve. I reconnected it and opened the valve. They have again closed the valve. I am uncomfortable dealing with them on my own. I would like to call a sheriff to speak to them but I'm not sure how this is addressed in terms of law. It seems they have no right to turn off my water on my line but is there a more specific law regarding this?

sally1

I would remove the T line and disconnect the neighbor!

Contact your local government to see about this.The city may require everyone to hook up to city lines.

Mass_Shyster

The proper action is to file in court for an injunction enjoining the neighbor from disconnecting your line.

Unfortunately, that's also an expensive activity.

tranquility

You might also record the trespassing.

Get a lawyer to send a letter telling the other party the license you granted to the previous owner is revoked within 30 days. At the end of that time you will end their access to the well. You might offer to continue the license at $xxxx a year. If they want to do so, they should contact you within 15 days.

Then, they will be the ones who will have to sue as to if there is some type of easement on the line. If there is, a court may still grant you some money. If there isn't, you can get the injunction far cheaper as the case will be prosecuted by the other side and your attorney will only have to respond to pleadings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">