• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbor dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CJ1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I received a letter from a law firm requesting my homeowner's insurance information. The firm was retained by a homeowner that I previously had a dispute with. Am I required to respond to this request? If so, how should I respond?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I received a letter from a law firm requesting my homeowner's insurance information. The firm was retained by a homeowner that I previously had a dispute with. Am I required to respond to this request? If so, how should I respond?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
What type of dispute did you have?

CJ1

my apartment is directly above his and my unit had a minor leak where some water went into his unit. It was not neglegence on my part either-the leak was due to a faulty shut off valve. Aside from a small water spot on his ceiling, I did not see any damage. He, on the other hand, wanted to place blame on me for pre-existing damage which I was not responsible for and was looking for a payday. I have witness/photos and documented everything to support to support my side of the story. He did not have any insurance and at the time, neither did I as I just purchased the unit. We did not come to any resolution, so I am suspecting he is looking to take legal action against me.

Antigone*

my apartment is directly above his and my unit had a minor leak where some water went into his unit. It was not neglegence on my part either-the leak was due to a faulty shut off valve. Aside from a small water spot on his ceiling, I did not see any damage. He, on the other hand, wanted to place blame on me for pre-existing damage which I was not responsible for and was looking for a payday. I have witness/photos and documented everything to support to support my side of the story. He did not have any insurance and at the time, neither did I as I just purchased the unit. We did not come to any resolution, so I am suspecting he is looking to take legal action against me.
You pay your insurance premiums for occurrences such as this: Give the attorney your homeowner's insurance information.

Banned_Princess

I suggest you let your insurance know about this claim immediately.

they will handle it. its their job.

strongbus

OP you said apartment. Do you rent or is this a Condo where you own each floor?

If you rent then if it was a bad pipe then its the landlords fault and that be who the other guy should be going after.

154NH773

READ THE POST
He did not have any insurance and at the time, neither did I as I just purchased the unit
I suggest you wait until he takes action. You are not obligated to respond to his attorney.

tranquility

I'm not sure if I would respond or not.

Argument to respond:
The attorney is trying to see if he can get a quick settlement and/or if the OP can pay a judgment against him. Telling him there is no insurance will dash the attorney's hopes.

Argument not to respond:
If the other side knows the OP can't pay for representation, they may feel they can steamroller him in court.

Let the Force be the OP's guide.

HomeGuru

I'm not sure if I would respond or not.

Argument to respond:
The attorney is trying to see if he can get a quick settlement and/or if the OP can pay a judgment against him. Telling him there is no insurance will dash the attorney's hopes.

Argument not to respond:
If the other side knows the OP can't pay for representation, they may feel they can steamroller him in court.

Let the Force be the OP's guide.
**A: I like the Force.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">