• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbor fence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mousieca1972

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
My next door neighbor and I split the cost of a fence between our two properties 22 years ago and she expects me to pay 1/2 again. The problem is, I do not have the money and she also has bad mouthed me to the home owners association board along with the other 2 neighbors on our street. She replaced 1/2 of the fence and broke a sprinkler head of mine, which I paid to replace and said nothing, now 1/4 of the rest of the fence fell onto my property because of the work they did replacing 1/2 of the fence. I asked her when they were going to remove the fence from my property and she said that that was my 1/2 of the fence. She thinks she can take me to court to pay for 1/2 of the fence. She even discussed that I purchased a new washer and dryer with the management company and that the board should make me pay 1/2. She also said that I should get a credit card or another job to pay for 1/2 of the fence!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

divgradcurl

She thinks she can take me to court to pay for 1/2 of the fence.
Most likely she can. See Cal. Civ. Code 841. Neighbors are equally responsible for maintaining the fences between their properties.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">