• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbor flooding my yard

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jpc40ma

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Whenever my neighbor fills and then empties their very large portable pool my side yard fills with approximately 2 inches of water in an area approximately 20' X 30'. It takes hours to drain; during which time I'm incapable of enjoying or maintaining (cutting the lawn) that part of my property. As someone who takes good care of their property, I'm also concerned about the effect that much water might have on my lawn. I've spoken to the homeowners and have requested they place their pool on a different portion of their backyard that would make the pool water drain away from my yard, but they haven't been willing to do that. I suspect that's because the pool would then be in shade.

I'm ready to write a letter to my neighbors, and would love to know the statute of Massachusetts General Law that pertains to this issue so I can reference it. Surely a neighbor can't flood another neighbor's property, can they?

My neighbor's rain gutter spouts also drain onto my property, but I put up with this and undertand that happens because of the way the house was built. But to constantly and purposefully place their pool so that the only way for it to drain is onto my property is very upsetting.

xylene

No a neighbor can't flood your property.

Is it fresh water or chlorinated?

Talk to someone in your local government, as they will be best equipped to help you.

seniorjudge

xylene said:
No a neighbor can't flood your property.

Is it fresh water or chlorinated?

Talk to someone in your local government, as they will be best equipped to help you.
Also, have a lawyer write them a letter and mention trespassing and treble damages since it is intentional.

No. Run off should flow towars the street. He must have a well because that much city water would cost more than the chlorien. If he has an above ground pump. He could put a valve between the well & the pool & pump it into his sprinkler system or yours.
Or he could buy a seperate pump & run it through hoses. Because it's his problem & if he want's a war. You are the one with the nuke. I could see him wasting water like that to save on the chemicals but. Why the hell dosen't he just siphen it to the front?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">