• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor harassing elderly parents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

radgalut

Colorado

I got a call that the cops showed up at my parents house on Friday because a neighbor accused them of stealing 4x4 posts and Lattice work. My parents are in their 80's and while still very active could not be carrying off 4x4 posts. Additionally, my father has serious heart problems. The cops checked out their place and while they did see 4x4 posts and lattice work it is very obvious they have been in place for many years. My father was upset but could not get any information about who made the accusation.
Then Sunday, another cops showed up and said this person had accused my parents of stealing cinderblocks. Again the cops examined my parents property and found cinderblocks that used to build a planter 2 years ago. This officer gave my parents a little more information. It is the neighbor behind them and this apparently is a common pattern. They were accusing someone else but they moved so apparently my parents are the new target.

What can they do about this situation. The stress is really bad for his heart condition, and he is very upset about his property being serarch twice. It is almost like this person is using the cops to harrass others.

strongbus

Based on what you have posted bout this person doing the same thing to the people who used to own the land says he is after the land and not your parents.

I would say that if you could see who offerd to buy the land form the last owners you would see that this pseron tryed but was out bid by your parents.

I would sugest one of the follow things to do.

1. Have your parents talk to a lawyer and see if a letter form a lawyer to the person will make him stop.

2. Talk to the police. If he done this in the past and keeps doing it the cops are going get tried and maybe they can talk to him and make him understand they are not going stand for him calling in fales reports(which is what hes doing, calling up the police and fileing a report saying your parents stole something form him).

One of these 2 may do the trick. Other wise this guys going keep doing this untill he gets what he wants.

radgalut

Actually, my parents have owned the property for 28 years. This person is the neighbor directly behind them and has not been there very long. The last officer who showed was going to get more information but apparently has been off this week.

The did go in and talk with another officer on the force, but I am worried about this situation esclating because i believe the neighbor has mental problems. The homes are extremely close together and there are not fences separate most of the house, in fact the covenants will not allow a fence to be built in this area. My mom was in her bed room folding clothes with the window open. This neighbor was outside talking to another neighbor. After the conversation was over she walked over to my parents window and told my mom to quit evesdroping and that she was going to get her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">