• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor Harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

singiko

Dear Real Estate Law Experts,

I recently purchased a condominium, and not long after we moved in we realized that a person who lives in one of the units consistently harass and terrorize all of the neighbors within the association. He constantly taunts fellow neighbors, throws items at their windows, and gets up in the middle of the night to bang on their garage doors just to name a few of the things which he does on a daily basis.

We tried calling the police numerous times, and he has a long list of police records, however, every time when the police comes he just uses the same old excuse of how he is mentally ill and he gets away with it that way, but just as soon as the police leaves he'll be telling us how calling the police is no use and he'll continue to terrorize us but now at a greater extent.

One of the neighbors has video recordings of him vandalizing other neighbor's garage doors and he brought it to the lieutenant at the local police station, however, the lieutenant told him that since the bad tenant's behavior is not a major offense that would break the law there is nothing they can do about it.
As far as I know this troublesome individual lives in the unit, but his brother actually owns the place. His brother lives elsewhere of course and does not witness any of these. The association tried talking to his families (mother and aunt) about his behavior but his family seem to be on his side and flat out lies and even accuses the association for causing him to act this way.

Our old manager even obtained restraining orders against him, but still to no avail, he continues to terrorize the neighborhood and gets away with it by pretending to be innocent when the police show up and claims he has mental condition and forgot to take his medication for the day. But as soon as the police leave he’ll go back to taunting and harassing me and my neighbors.

At this point I and the rest of the members in our association is at a loss as to what more can we do to resolve this constant harassment from this individual. One time it got so bad that he even threw eggs and poured feces on my neighbor's door step. We're wondering if there is anything the association can do to evict this person, and if so what steps should we follow. If not, then what legal remedies can we take to resolve this situation.

Thank you so much.

OHRoadwarrior

Are you even in the US? I suggest the HOA, you or a neighbor obtain a current restraining order. The police are obligated to follow it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">