• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbor has surrounded my garage inside new construction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rosefamily77

I live in Washington state, city of Tacoma. \
my neighbor finished a fence/covered patio and has literally encased my garage with her high fence. She also has butted up her posts to my roof(they touch) so i cant put on new roofing since it needs to overhang(it is missing roofing right now). Her covered patio uses the fence posts as her covered patio posts and her water runs off onto my structure, she also installed a plastic board so the water runoff wouldnt run onto her property but stay on mine...the problem is because she has that plastic and her fence so close the water will pool up on my garage. she says that my garage over hang is over hanging her property so she can do it(my house is 7 years older)...and when i asked to find a mutual solution she basically said "up yours, sue me if you dont like it." Although im not a serveyor i measured out our propertyies according to the county data and there is 4-5 feet between our propertys which honestly could go either way...if what she says is right she has the whole area of discrepency an extra 5ft to what the county list. just doesnt seem right to me**************...what do i do??...i took pictures can i post them here....we would do a servey but has no money to speak of....and i wouldnt know what or how to sue her...we cant do small claims becuase its not a matter of money.
thanks
Robert

TinkerBelleLuvr

Was the addition legally built, with permits from the city/county/whatever? I would question that because she is using your fence for the structure.

Last edited:

rosefamily77

I highly doubt it...my other neighbor built it...hes a good guy i dont want to get him in trouble....after he re-did her fence and whole backyard....he now cant stand her....but i highly doubt that permits were used....would this hurt him if i used that?

TinkerBelleLuvr

Call code enforcement, but don't suggest giving your name (might make bigger enemies than you now have.)

If no permits were taken, then, they could very well require it be taken down.

Although im not a serveyor i measured out our propertyies according to the county data and there is 4-5 feet between our propertys which honestly could go either way...
I am not either but I am a civil engineer and know something about it and what is clear to me is that you have no idea where your property line is. You need to get a survey first so you know where you, and your neighbor stand, without that all you can do is blow smoke. If you can't afford a survey, then you can't afford to solve this problem.

TinkerBelleLuvr

She also has butted up her posts to my roof(they touch)
I would have code enforcement all over this.

when you purchased the property, did you get a survey of the property? It show where everything is in relation to the property line. Might be a place to start. As alligatorbob said - need to get that survey done also.

HomeGuru

I live in Washington state, city of Tacoma. \
my neighbor finished a fence/covered patio and has literally encased my garage with her high fence. She also has butted up her posts to my roof(they touch) so i cant put on new roofing since it needs to overhang(it is missing roofing right now). Her covered patio uses the fence posts as her covered patio posts and her water runs off onto my structure, she also installed a plastic board so the water runoff wouldnt run onto her property but stay on mine...the problem is because she has that plastic and her fence so close the water will pool up on my garage. she says that my garage over hang is over hanging her property so she can do it(my house is 7 years older)...and when i asked to find a mutual solution she basically said "up yours, sue me if you dont like it." Although im not a serveyor i measured out our propertyies according to the county data and there is 4-5 feet between our propertys which honestly could go either way...if what she says is right she has the whole area of discrepency an extra 5ft to what the county list. just doesnt seem right to me**************...what do i do??...i took pictures can i post them here....we would do a servey but has no money to speak of....and i wouldnt know what or how to sue her...we cant do small claims becuase its not a matter of money.
thanks
Robert
**A: review your current survey and building permits.

FarmerJ

Yes get your own survey and also learn at the time your garage was built if there were any setback requirements in place by your local govt and what they were for the time your garage was built. It would stink to learn that both you and your neighbor are in violation of set back ords. Once you have learned where your own lot line is you have multiple options.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">