• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor from Hell!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Trying35

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I have lived in my current home which is a duplex for 8 years. About 2-3 years ago the most psychotic person I have ever met bought the other side of our duplex. It started with her pounding on walls, whatever, life goes on. Fast forward a couple years, if I leave my house now, she is on her porch screaming obscenities at me, I do not instigate, I just want to live my life. Today, I asked my husband to take out the garbage, unfortunately I said this while standing near my open front door. She proceeded to scream that the garbage needs to be taken out because she can smell it on her side. My garbage didn't stink, I just went on a cleaning spree and it was really full. She then threw out every name in the book, I just walk to my van and get in and leave while she continues to scream. So we are gone for a couple hours and we come back with bags of stuff, her dog is on my porch steps, unleashed as usual, she is sitting on her porch smoking and does nothing about the dog, this happens alot, one of these days, we are going to fall on the dog because it just sits there. My 12 year old daughter went outside, she also was called every name in the book. I am moving in a year or less, but until then do I seriously have to put up with this? The cops have been to our house, she is also a major pot head and smokes it with her 1 year, 2 year old and 9 year old in the house, I feel so bad for those kids, they said they can deal with the pot spewing from the windows and door, they told us that next time they are called, if they can smell it outside then they will get a search warrant and take care of that, but unless she hits me or does property damage, she has freedom of speech and can say whatever she wants to me or my children. So we are now at the point where I am trapped inside my house with my children, if we go out we are called every name in the book. Now I don't want to doubt the police but if my husband were to call me every name in the book or tell me how fat and stupid I am, that is considered abuse and if I worked with her, it would fall under harrassment, so I feel as if she is also guilty of abuse or harrassment or something! I have tried hard to stay strong through this but being called a 400 lb cow that smells like tuna, a whore and various other niceties every time I leave my house, although I know these things are not true and I know that I am a good person, this treatment has taken its toll and I was put on anti-depressants a week ago and blood pressure medication about a month ago because of this stress. Is there anything at all that I can do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">