• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor issue with fence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Deeju

What is the name of your state (Texas)?
Since the neighbor moved in a few years we have had issues. They continually parked in front of our house (we use the street in front of our house to park our cars and had for several years) with their cars and their own guests and for parties walking through our yard to get to their back yard. They continually had parties waking us up as our bedroom window is 15ft from their back porch. One night we asked then politely to turn the music down but they were too drunk to care and told us to call the police. One of the partiers tried to vandalize our car in our driveway during all this so the police were called out and they were told to take party inside and we stopped them before damage was done to car. As a result they built an 8ft stockade fence and not only that but thought the property line looked off so had it surveyed and moved the fence 6 inches onto our yard ( that we bought with a survey six years earlier) saying their survey would stand up in court so we left it alone to keep the peace. We planted roses and placed garden fence a few inches from front yard property line where there was no fence. He let me know on several occasions he thought the roses were stupid where I planted them and wanted to know why I planted them there. One day we found a rose bush completely cut down to the ground and made police report on it. Cound't prove he did it but sounded like him ( or his wife) On one occasion he was asked and he denied doing anything to them. The rest of the roses started dying and took to horticulturist and was being sprayed with weed killer and then saw weed eater marks on rose bushes. Saw neighbor come onto my property on three occasions weed eating about a three ft section in my yard so we erected a 2ft wooden fence to separate the front yard to keep him from continuing to kill rose bushes and keep him off our yard and installed surveillance camera( per advice of police) and made him aware it was there. It has been 7 months since we installed fence in front ( approved by city) and today the neighbor noticed two little “L” brackets we attached our 2ft fence to the corner post of his fence that is 4 inches onto our property ( thank you surveillance camera) knowing his character already I am expecting some repercussion of some kind. Am I within my rights to attach to "L" brackets about two inches each to his post that is well over the property line or do I need to remove it before he does something? He has been told by police to just stay away from us and not to come onto our property due to past issues and there are more stupid ones they instigated. Any help appreciated before he acts again as the police thinks he will do

csi7

First, a permanent survey marker needs to be set since there are two differing surveys.
Second, if his fence is on your property, it needs to be moved on his side of the property line.
If you have evidence of the damages, of the changes you made to prevent further damage, and the times of all these events, it will help.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (Texas)?
Since the neighbor moved in a few years we have had issues. They continually parked in front of our house (we use the street in front of our house to park our cars and had for several years) with their cars and their own guests and for parties walking through our yard to get to their back yard. They continually had parties waking us up as our bedroom window is 15ft from their back porch. One night we asked then politely to turn the music down but they were too drunk to care and told us to call the police. One of the partiers tried to vandalize our car in our driveway during all this so the police were called out and they were told to take party inside and we stopped them before damage was done to car. As a result they built an 8ft stockade fence and not only that but thought the property line looked off so had it surveyed and moved the fence 6 inches onto our yard ( that we bought with a survey six years earlier) saying their survey would stand up in court so we left it alone to keep the peace. We planted roses and placed garden fence a few inches from front yard property line where there was no fence. He let me know on several occasions he thought the roses were stupid where I planted them and wanted to know why I planted them there. One day we found a rose bush completely cut down to the ground and made police report on it. Cound't prove he did it but sounded like him ( or his wife) On one occasion he was asked and he denied doing anything to them. The rest of the roses started dying and took to horticulturist and was being sprayed with weed killer and then saw weed eater marks on rose bushes. Saw neighbor come onto my property on three occasions weed eating about a three ft section in my yard so we erected a 2ft wooden fence to separate the front yard to keep him from continuing to kill rose bushes and keep him off our yard and installed surveillance camera( per advice of police) and made him aware it was there. It has been 7 months since we installed fence in front ( approved by city) and today the neighbor noticed two little “L” brackets we attached our 2ft fence to the corner post of his fence that is 4 inches onto our property ( thank you surveillance camera) knowing his character already I am expecting some repercussion of some kind. Am I within my rights to attach to "L" brackets about two inches each to his post that is well over the property line or do I need to remove it before he does something? He has been told by police to just stay away from us and not to come onto our property due to past issues and there are more stupid ones they instigated. Any help appreciated before he acts again as the police thinks he will do
**A: do you have a current survey?

Mass_Shyster

Hang up some security cameras. Don't tell him if they are real or not.

You may want to put up some motion-detector floodlights too.

Deeju

Reports of damage

Yes I do have pictures of the damage and did make a police report on it when it happened as well as I wanted a paper trail of events in case it got worse ( the police warned us it would prob get worse). My only issue is not getting a copy of the survey when we moved in so suppose I can get it from real etate co that we worked with when purchasing the house. Yes I have video cameras up and he does know about them and it why I figure the damage has stopped becuase he knows I can see what happens now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">