• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor keeps closing access gate. Problem with ambulance and postal service.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lia

Lakebay, WA

We live on private street with 3 neighbors and a gate in the beginning. The 3rd neighbor just owns a land and doesn't live there. We were never closing the gate then one neighbor started closing one side. It was ok because we were able to get in and out without stopping on a busy street to open. Recently he started to close both halves. We asked him nicely not to do that. He replied that it's a security issue and that second neighbor (who doesn't even live there) wants them closed too. Another problem is that my son has a health issues and the ambulance had a problem getting in. They asked us to keep the gates open. Also the mailman keeps asking to leave the gates open because the mailboxes are in the middle. I've been driving to the gates and opening them only find them closed again.

What are the legal grounds on this issue? Seems like asking nicely doesn't work with this guy :( Does he have the rights to close the gates? Is he breaking any laws?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Whenever they're closed, just go open them. Problem solved.

Of course, you could probably put some sort of combination lock on the gate and provide responders with the combination.

justalayman

there actually is little to nothing you can do to make the neighbors not close the gate. As long as they don't lock them, you aren't going to interest a court in the issue. If they weren't locked, I do not see why anybody would have trouble getting in. I am surprised the postman delivers mail inside the gate. I suspect if the gate continues to be closed, they will require you to move your mailboxes to the main road so the postman does not have to get out of his vehicle to open the gate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">