• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor is landscaper and running business from his home.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

diddlydudette

Hi,

I live in SC and live in a residential neighborhood which has a HOA.

My neighbor across the street has run his landscaping business from his home for a few years now and I'm finally at the breaking point with my patience and knowing what I can do.

I live on what should be a quiet cul-de-sac. He sometimes has his employees park at his house on the streets. In our HOA rules and regulations, we are not to park on the street. Many a time I and my neighbors can't hardly back out of our driveways. A friend of mine actually backed into one of his employees cars that was parked by my driveway on the street. She had to file a claim.

He also stores his yard debris in his fenced-in backyard. Along with yard debris is wood that he chops and collects to sell in the winter months. Isn't that a fire hazard?

His employees are sometimes hanging out in his yard waiting on him or working...chopping wood, or doing whatever.

His business had brought a lot of traffic to our cul-de-sac and he keeps his lawn tools out in the yard along with other junk under tarps. It's just trashy.

Neighbors have complained to the HOA. They wrote him a few letters but he tosses them aside and continues with his business.

I started taking pics and in January I took the pics to the HOA before I paid my HOA fee for the year. I wanted them to see the pics and to ask if anything at all they could do. I pleaded. They said pretty much their hands are tied and they can't do a thing because they don't have the right to enforce the HOA rules and regulations. I asked why then do we have to pay fees or why do we even have rules. They stated that we have a pool, tennis courts and street lights. So forget the HOA. They are useless to me.

I then called the city zoning enforcement office. They took my name and number and said I had a legit complaint and they would send someone to his house to inspect. I told them I'd share my pics, but they said I'd have to come down and sign some papers and that would make it possible that I'd might have to appear in court if it came down to that.

Ok, I don't want trouble (i.e. keyed vehicle) so I said I would not off pics.

I called the zoning office last week and this morning I noticed things were getting worse so I called the zoning office again to see what's been done. They said the inspector came by the day after I reported the neighbor. She said a letter went out to him basically telling him he needs to take his business out of the neighborhood...clean landscaping tools out of yard, landscaping vehicles out of yard and he couldn't have employees meet him at his house each morning. His deadline is today. He hadn't done a thing and I really don't think he thinks he needs to do anything.

Can the zoning office enforce the zoning laws or are they going to be about as useless as the HOA?

The zoning office did give me the inspector's name and phone number and I have the case #. I called him a couple of times today but he hadn't returned my call.

Do I have any rights or what can I do next if he continues to keep his landscaping business in our cul-de-sac?

If it goes to trial if he doesn't clean up his act, what are the chances he if forced to clean up the yard? How long does something like this take to go to court?

I'm just tired of fighting this and getting no where. It seems there should be something other residents can do.

Thanks so much for any help or insight.

I'm trying to sell my home and no one will want to even look at my house with him across the street. My neighbor gave up trying to sell his. It just doesn't seem fair that our property values decrease more because he is breaking the zoning laws.:(

FarmerJ

You have the right to go to your city hall and learn exactly what those ords are the city has that they wrote him about (it is public information ) once you know what they say then you and any other interested neighbor are able to put pressure on inspections after you learn what the details are (meaning after one letter do they send a final warning then do they take the homeowner to court ? or do they fine them , can they step in and order it to be cleaned up by city /county crews and put a lien on the property to cover the cost ,. you know like how some places do with un mowed grass they will send x number letters then do it and add the bill on the taxes) If inspections get lax about this then who is in charge of inspections ? city council members and mayors or city managers are good political targets if enough voters push them.

diddlydudette

I talked to the inspector today. It sounds like nothing more he can do.

Neighbor still has lots of mess under his tarps in his front yard and yard debris and logs, etc in the back yard.

Inspector said he can't prove what's in the back yard unless the roofer testifies to what he saw.

Can't the inspector walk in neighbors fenced-in back yard?

Junk under tarps and taking up half his yard, well inspector says he needs proof that he's not using this for personal use but for landscaping. Again, this is where a good zoom camera is going to come in handy and someone willing to take time to photo without getting caught. What work just to get him to abide by the law.

Anyway, it sounds like it's going to take the neighbors getting together and taking pics and documenting what we see...pics of license plates, workers in his yard. Then we'll get subpoenaed to appear in court. I'm going to give it a try because I know other neighbors feel as I do.

Also this is not the first time someone reporting zoning to this house inspector said.

Landscaper guy was at home when inspector initially went by last week and let's just say that he wasn't happy to see him there and told him it's America and he can do what he wants. He denied cars were employees of his but friends of his. lol That's why I'll have to take pics. I guess though he can always say they are 'friends'.

It's ashamed that neighbors have to go thru all this and zoning can't just step in and keep a watch.

He's gets fined first 2 times and court the 3rd with possible jail time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">