• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor littering back yard

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ryan98012

I live in Connecticut, and my neighbor is littering their backyard. They live up on a large hill, kind of far from our house (not on same street), but from our property we can see all of the milk cartons, kids toys, pool rafts, and more. A few years ago I cleaned it all up, and scattered the garbage in their driveway and front yard. Oddly, they never called us, since we are the only people that can see their back yard. Anyways, I went back today to pick up more and filled up 4 large garbage bags. I also found their christmas trees, with all the lights tangled up. Is there anything legal I can do about it? Could I get in trouble for giving their trash back to them, maybe in a nicer way this time? Thanks, Ryan.

FarmerJ

Contact your city/ county govt center to learn what if any local ords address yard litter and debris that is not picked up by property owners. If there is a local ord addressing the issue then ask for a inspector to come out and cite them. Do your self a favor , take pics of the debris before it hits your yard. then after when it does end up wind blown onto your property. If there is a local ord and officials take no action your pic collection may be very interesting news item in local paper near local election time.

Mark1075

I feel for you man, I'm in a similar situation. I live down here in the great state of WV in a college town. Needless to say I am surrounded by rental properties with tenants (students) and landlords who could care less. I work for the city so I had an "in" so to speak. Last fall the folks next door had a dog that they treated very poorly. One could see more "poo" on the deck than wood and i dont need to tell you the smell was unbearable. The copious amounts of trash were also a problem.

I had ideas for a few months to speak to them tenants about the trash problem however, once I witnessed them urinating off of the back deck, I knew they may n ot listen to reason. I live with my young girlfriend in a 3000 square foot home that she has a hard enough time sleeping in when Im away since I work 24 hour shifts every other day. I figured that it was best not to cause any problems that might lead to additional problems for her when I am away.

I contacted the city code enforcement and they gave me the usual....however they did make them clean up the dog poo. Then fortunately for us, the dog disappared. However, the trash was still an issue. We have a "trash cop" here in the city and he is responsible for making the students clean up their place of trash. I spoke with him, used a fire dept. code officer as a plaintiff, and bada bing, within hours the property was cleaned.

My advice, check to see if the police dept. has this in your town. As Al Capone once said "I can get farther with a kind word and gun than I can with just a kind word". In other words a Police Officer is rather intimidating to criminals.

PS. Do yourself a favor and save yourself some work....bag the trash and throw it out, otherwise the same trash that you picked up and put in your irresponsible neighbors driveway blows back onto your property. Why do a job twice.

MyHouse

LOL Mark... You can't go into someody's yard and throw away their things! I know it is annoying but really all the OP can do is see if any city ordinances are being violated. The suggestion about getting a privacy fence is a great one, and I would recommend planting a row of screen vegetation along the fence. My back yard is surrounded by vegetation. It is pretty and we have privacy. I have no idea what my neighbors have in their back yards.

BTW, I am originally from WV (Huntington) and my uncle works for the county. I miss WV.
:(

Mark1075

MyHouse: Ah finally, a fellow Mountaineer. My guess is that if you have visited Morgantown you know that trash and student housing are our biggest problems. The best advise for lcannister is to grin and bear it by picking up the trash and sleep well knowing you did the right thing. If you were in WV I could offer some more "good ole boy" advice that would probably be a clear violation of any laws elsewhere in the universe, yet your problem would be solved. However, we have a way here in The Mountain State of dealing with our own problems that seem to work much better than any laws set forth by our city leaders.

MyHouse can explain the Hatfields and McCoys and the Wv Mine Wars in Matewan and Blair MTN. if you like.

And we wonder why they call us imbred hillbillies. Nuff said!! I just "funnin'" you guys.

Mark1075

lcannister: I just thought of something. I work in emergency field medicine so therfore I deal with the public a good bit. Unfortunately most of the time it in the worst of situations that you could imagine. By that I mean living conditions. Normally, I have a pretty strong stomach but even the most deplorable living conditions sicken me sometimes, especially when the kids are involved. Try this angle. I usually report deplorable living conditions (beacuse I dont want to have to go back in that mess) to the local health and human services dept. Most of the time they will not take action unless children are involved or a handicapped, or elderly individual, however I understand in your case children are involved. If the place is that bad, give the HHSD a call in your area. It is completly anonymous (here) and tell them that you suspect the children are living in squaller.

Best case scenario: the place gets cleaned up
Worst Case scenario: They lose their kids

Either way, part if not all of your problem has been solved.

Shay-Pari'e

(Quote) milk cartons, kids toys, pool rafts, and more(QUOTE)

So you are trespassing on their property and throwing these things back in their driveway? Is their pool in their driveway? Do the kids play in the street?

Geesh, what a stupid thread.

MyHouse

Mark... I've never been to Morgantown. We moved away from WV when I was about 5 years old, but visited every summer. I've been around Marshall University though and the area is not too bad. It's probably a matter of how the city is being run. It can vary a great deal from town to town. I am fortunate now because we have fantastic city services that will not tolerate junkiness, tall grass, etc. They even pick up your leaves with a truck so that bagging is not necessary. Just blow them all to the curb and they suck them up with a big hose. It is pretty cool.

But I have some hill people in Huntington that would surprise a lot of people... people who look like the Clampets on Beverly Hillbillies. But then again I've seen a lot of normal-looking folks there too.

My favorite place is the Keith Albee theater. It is gorgeous.

lcannister

lcannister: I just thought of something. I work in emergency field medicine so therfore I deal with the public a good bit. Unfortunately most of the time it in the worst of situations that you could imagine. By that I mean living conditions. Normally, I have a pretty strong stomach but even the most deplorable living conditions sicken me sometimes, especially when the kids are involved. Try this angle. I usually report deplorable living conditions (beacuse I dont want to have to go back in that mess) to the local health and human services dept. Most of the time they will not take action unless children are involved or a handicapped, or elderly individual, however I understand in your case children are involved. If the place is that bad, give the HHSD a call in your area. It is completly anonymous (here) and tell them that you suspect the children are living in squaller.

Best case scenario: the place gets cleaned up
Worst Case scenario: They lose their kids

Either way, part if not all of your problem has been solved.
Wrong username you are referring to. Reread the thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">