• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor Mowing part of yard

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Thurms

Pennsylvania. I have had issues with a neighbor always on my driveway to access his garden and their refusal to move out of the way so I back car out of drive to go to work, shopping etc. This has gotten better but he is still mowing about 8 feet into my backyard. My wife and I have both asked him to stop as he sets deck really low and scalps grass. As a side note our yards are too small really for the riding mower he uses, everyone but him can easily use push mower in 40 mibutes. He said to me yesterday he will not stop as I am just making his life difficult and that I am selfish. How do I approach, I have tried to be nice for months?

KJHOOK13

Options

Well, you could do a couple of things:

1) Put a fence up so he cannot mow 8 ft into your property;
2) When you mow your yard, go ahead and mow several feet into his property and then when he maneuvers his riding lawn mower around that small yard, he won't scalp into 8 ft of your property.

3) Have a cold beer and don't worry about it. It's just grass.

154NH773

There is an old saying; "Good fences make good neighbors."

If he will not comply with your reasonable requests, a fence may be the best option. It is probably less expensive than getting into litigation over the problem.

I would not recommend crossing over into his yard, nor would I recommend just ignoring what he is doing. You own your property, and he has no right to trespass, especially after you have asked him not to. If he thinks you are selfish, ask him to pay your taxes.

Last edited:

KJHOOK13

One Last solution

Well there is one other solution - you could offer to cut his grass so he doesn't scalp yours. It's just a matter of how important it is to you for your lawn to look nice.

drewguy

He said to me yesterday he will not stop as I am just making his life difficult and that I am selfish. How do I approach, I have tried to be nice for months?
I don't fully understand this -- does he have a point? Does he need to use your driveway to get to part of his yard? If so, that's a useful negotiating point, because you could respond to him that you see no reason to be neighborly and provide access if he's going to scalp your lawn.

But otherwise agree with 154NH--get a fence. Get a low one, but get something.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">