• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor mows part of my grass..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

theroot

I'm in Ohio firstly. Neighbor likes a pristine lawn and mows it probably every 4 days. I on the other hand don't care as much and work 80hrs a week so I tend to mow every 7-10days. For probably the 6th time the neighbor has mowed a section of my grass about two mower widths wide down our fence line on our side - also sometimes mows the section between the street and the sidewalk. While it didn't bother me so much he was doing it before, however now he's attempting to complain to the city and our relator's about "our issue". I've read our local city law well and unless it is over 6" in height (never is minus some weeds that grow fast in a week in a couple places) - its not in violation. And even when it is in violation they give you a warning and 5 days to mow it or the city does.

Now this neighbor has never once said a word to me (moved in about 6months ago), won't look at us or anything, does not seem friendly.. I am attempting to fight back or at least know what I can fight back with should the need arise and he continue to escalate this - thus my question and why i am here: If a neighbor is (without permission) mowing part of my backyard and front yard, is that considered trespassing and vandalism? I tend to think if someone mowed or cut someones prized grass or golf course or special trees or something important (about the only ones that would care) - then I could see them filing charges. While i'm not looking to take immediate action, I would like to know if I would have some legal backing to at least communicate to him should he continue this action. Any thoughts?

Thanks

csi7

Put up a "no trespassing" sign on the edge of the fence.
Is the neighbor coming inside your fence to mow your yard?
Put up a barrier, (flower bed or landscape mulch), down the property line. This stopped our neighbor from mowing our yard two mower lengths over at an angle every five days.
Check into the complaint system and see if there is there a method to have the complaints compiled and used to prevent abuse of the system by calls such as the ones that have happened.
Take pictures of the area mowed. Date and time the pictures.

Mass_Shyster

Call the police and report the trespassing. Show them the evidence (mowed grass).

I know someone who pounded metal rods into the ground leaving them sticking up two inches.

theroot

You're complaining because someone cut your grass? Seriously?

Send them over to my rental properties!

Gail
No, but thank you for reading the post :)

Call the police and report the trespassing. Show them the evidence (mowed grass).

I know someone who pounded metal rods into the ground leaving them sticking up two inches.
I like the metal rods idea.

Put up a "no trespassing" sign on the edge of the fence.
Is the neighbor coming inside your fence to mow your yard?
Put up a barrier, (flower bed or landscape mulch), down the property line. This stopped our neighbor from mowing our yard two mower lengths over at an angle every five days.
Check into the complaint system and see if there is there a method to have the complaints compiled and used to prevent abuse of the system by calls such as the ones that have happened.
Take pictures of the area mowed. Date and time the pictures.
Yeah he's going into my back yard to mow down our entire fence line on our side. I can file police reports online for petty stuff - no need to involve an officer. I don't know what other complaint system there'd be. Also about the no trespassing - i was thinking about this - however my town has some weird rules against visible signs and i haven't figured out how to interpret if it's legal or not.

csi7

We put the "no trespassing" sign on our locked gate, and that stopped the neighbor from mowing inside the fence. I didn't think of the 2" metal rods, or I would have done that. The power company approved the landscaped mulched bed three feet wide all the way down.
If your neighbor is complaining to code enforcement or other watchdog agency, that is what I was referring to.
Keep track of all the on-line complaints you filed as well.

theroot

We put the "no trespassing" sign on our locked gate, and that stopped the neighbor from mowing inside the fence. I didn't think of the 2" metal rods, or I would have done that. The power company approved the landscaped mulched bed three feet wide all the way down.
If your neighbor is complaining to code enforcement or other watchdog agency, that is what I was referring to.
Keep track of all the on-line complaints you filed as well.
Yeah the problem is theres a part of our fencing right next to our hosue thats open - no gate or fence (only a few feet from our side of the house to our fence/boundary divider). In order to finish the fencing (even putting up shrubs there) I'd have to get a city permit and blah blah. I do intend to eventually go that route maybe, just havent decided.

My buddy commented on the metal rod idea - saying if that breaks the blade off in the mower and it somehow injure him then i would be liable since it was on my property. Even if it doesn't injure him maybe something like reckless endangerment or something. Not sure if i'll go that route - even though i do like the idea.

Theres no other "watchdog" type agencies overseeing our development besides regular law, and some rather strict town ordinances. No HOA or anything like that either.

Last edited:

csi7

You can put up some heavy planters with bricks in the bottom of them, and plants in planters inside of the big planter. That is not a permanent item as it can be moved.

drewguy

Also about the no trespassing - i was thinking about this - however my town has some weird rules against visible signs and i haven't figured out how to interpret if it's legal or not.
Have you told him not to trespass in this way? You don't need a sign to make trespassing illegal--the fence tells him where the property line is (I assume it's on/near line). If you can't tell him in person, send him a letter. Then start reporting him to the cops.

Right now it sounds like you want to meet his passive-aggressive approach with your own passive-aggressive approach. Why not be up-front about it? If he tells you you should mow your lawn more often you can tell him that you don't see the need to manicure it every 4 days, and you'll keep your lawn how you like and within the rules of the town.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">