• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor Parking on My Grass

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bethkNH

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire

I have a chain link fence in the front of my property with an additional 6 feet of property in front of it before you reach the street. My neighbor has been parking on my grass in front of my fence all winter in order to avoid the parking bans issued when it snows. I spoke to her once about it, and she continued to park there. Now that the snow is melting, I have 6" ruts and mud where my grass used to be. I left a very nice letter on the window of her vehicle asking her to move as she was damaging my property. She still refuses to move. Can I legally have her vehicle towed now? She is completely on my property, not just one or two tires. She is pretty much up against my fence. I'd appreciate any advise. Thank you very much.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Mass_Shyster

Call your police department and ask them what the requirements are for a trespass tow. You may have to hang up a no parking sign.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Have you written a letter to your neighbor? If not, you should do a CRRR to her stating that she is trespassing on your lawn. In addition, you will be need HER to repair your lawn.

154NH773

I agree with the other posters, but just make sure that you actually own the land in question, and that there is no right of way extending into that area, or an easement on your land for purposes of sidewalks, etc. that may preclude you from taking action.
If she is on some sort of easement, or right of way, then she would probably be in violation of the parking bans.
When all is said and done... move your fence.

bethkNH

Thank you

Thanks for the replies. I'm heading to the police station this afternoon armed with pictures of the vehicle and the damage done to my lawn. I'll find out what I'm legally entitled to do to get this you-know-what off my property. I'll be sure to post and let you know what they say.

xylene

If it were me I would pile debris there after she left for the day.

That or caltrops, but that is NOT a good idea.

bethkNH

So I spoke with the police and was told to call them the next time she's parked there and they will come and ask her to move. I was told that, being that she's on private property, they can't tow her. The officer said that I can have her towed, but it would be at my expense. That doesn't seem like a viable option to me, seeing that she's already going to cost me a ton when I try to repair my lawn. So, as soon as she pulls in to that spot again I'm on the phone to the police. Hoping that once will be enough. Thanks again for all your suggestions and help.

Kiawah

Just out of curiosity, what is it about that spot, that makes her want to park there as opposed to in front of their own house?

When you reseed, you may want to consider a couple large boulders about every 8 feet or so. I have a corner lot where everyone used to cut the corner too close tearing up the lawn. That has solved the problem for me, for years now. Make sure you know exactly where your property is.

Last edited:

justalayman

So I spoke with the police and was told to call them the next time she's parked there and they will come and ask her to move. I was told that, being that she's on private property, they can't tow her. The officer said that I can have her towed, but it would be at my expense. That doesn't seem like a viable option to me, seeing that she's already going to cost me a ton when I try to repair my lawn. So, as soon as she pulls in to that spot again I'm on the phone to the police. Hoping that once will be enough. Thanks again for all your suggestions and help.
If you want to go to the trouble, you can make a demand for the costs to repair the yard. She would likely lose if you had to take this to court.

One word of caution: just be sure this is not within the road right of way. It would change the situation a lot.

bethkNH

If she parks in front of her own house, she'll be on the street and therefore subject to the winter parking bans. Her lawn slopes down to the street, whereas mine is flat. Parking on my property gets her off the street during the winter so she won't be towed.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Have you told her face to face, along with the pictures of the damage she has done?

If you can tow her, it might be worth the expense. See - she'll learn that no matter where she parks incorrectly, she'll get towed.

And the bolder idea is good. I have some folks who have put these concrete items in their yards that look like miniature pyramids that will damage your tires if you drive over them. Temporarily, you can put up stakes and rope to keep people off that area.

Mass_Shyster

Tell her you're buying a Jeep and plan to park it on her lawn, unless she immediately stops parking on your lawn and repairs the damage.

nextwife

As soon as it thaws, put deep corner posts in, maybe add birdhouses on top? Maybe a low border fence, and some raised planting beds? Since the grass is gone, why not do some gardening there?

sally1

I would block her from that spot.An easy fix that I noticed a few people do is using a 5 gallon bucket to make a few concrete blocks. Just make them on the spot so you will not have to move them as they are heavy.

Put a garbage bag in the bucket,grease up,pour in concrete,then flip it out when set. Make a few to block off the area.

The posts with decorations or feeders will look better.

bethkNH

So I bought some poles and rope and "No Parking" signs yesterday and blocked her from the spot. I come home from work today and find that she has taken the rope, the signs and piled up my poles on the fence. "I didn't touch it", she says. I am red with rage right now. I have put a call in to the police and am waiting for them to return my call. I told her repeatedly that I just want to put some grass seed down. Un-#@%$@-believable how people can be. Mind you, this you-know-what doesn't even own this house! She's living there with her Aunt!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">