• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor piles tree limbs, leaves in my yard

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rd117a

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

I have a huge sycamore tree in my front yard, that borders the end of my property next to my neighbors property. Yesterday I came home from work and found where he had put a huge pile (10 ft by 3 ft) of branches, sticks, leaves, and a small amount of trash (intermingled with the debrie) into my yard. Some of the branches and leaves were definitely not from my tree, and some look like they probably were.

Does he have a legal right to do this?

rd117a

Would this be a criminal matter or a civil matter? I asked this because he had to tresspass to get onto my yard to place the debrie. His son is a cop who lives across the street, and they seem to think they are above the law.

Should I take some course of action for now (if there is any) or would it be best to let it go and wait until the next incident?

danggoods

Take lots of pictures of this pile. Pull out the trash stuff and photograph. Post a no trespassing sign. He is basically complaining about your tree and the issue is not going to be resolved until the tree is gone or you talk to him.
He can actually trim your tree if its over his property line provided he doesnt kill it, at least in Missouri.
And perhaps he just wanted to inform you, in an obvious way so that you could thank him for taking care of the issue of your tree over his property, and that the least you could do was dispose of it? A neat pile might suggest that.
I would be very thorough in the legal area since his son is a police officer and may know someone in law enforcement in your precinct.
Try talking to him to get a feel for where he is on this.

rd117a

Thanks divgradcurl and danggoods for responding. It was my take on the law that once things like leaves, sticks etc, from a neighboring tree blow into ones yard, it becomes their responsibility to dispose of it. Not the neighbor who physically has ownership of the tree. Do anyone know if this is correct and if not what does the law say?

I should also say as well the incident occurred in the front yard where none of the properties on the street are fenced in. My neighbor on the other side of me has a tree bordering his yard and mine, and numerous sticks and branches fall into my yard and driveway. I've always cleaned them up myself because it is out of his hand. I just assumed it was my responsibility because it had fallen in my yard even though it was from his tree.

I am a renter, so I sent the landlord a written letter notifying him of the incident.

BL

Thanks divgradcurl and danggoods for responding. It was my take on the law that once things like leaves, sticks etc, from a neighboring tree blow into ones yard, it becomes their responsibility to dispose of it. Not the neighbor who physically has ownership of the tree. Do anyone know if this is correct and if not what does the law say?

I should also say as well the incident occurred in the front yard where none of the properties on the street are fenced in. My neighbor on the other side of me has a tree bordering his yard and mine, and numerous sticks and branches fall into my yard and driveway. I've always cleaned them up myself because it is out of his hand. I just assumed it was my responsibility because it had fallen in my yard even though it was from his tree.

I am a renter, so I sent the landlord a written letter notifying him of the incident.
First you say it's " MY " property , My everything , and now you're just a renter .

That solves it .

rd117a

So what does that mean, because I am renter I don't have rights. I am responsible for the property, the yard, my yard only.

Even though I rent, I call the place my home. When I tell people where I live, I don't say come over to my landlord's house; I say come over to my house.

I'm paying money for it, I call it my home, and I'm responsible for MY yard maintenance.

I'm looking for answers to a problem; not smart ass comments like yours to show off.

BL

So what does that mean, because I am renter I don't have rights. I am responsible for the property, the yard, my yard only.

Even though I rent, I call the place my home. When I tell people where I live, I don't say come over to my landlord's house; I say come over to my house.

I'm paying money for it, I call it my home, and I'm responsible for MY yard maintenance.

I'm looking for answers to a problem; not smart ass comments like yours to show off.

For what then , if yard maintenance is YOUR responsibility ?

If it's your responsibility , why didn't you seek codes from your local governments ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">