• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor problems :(

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

courtney1111

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I moved in to my home in 2009. I have a large backyard that fenced (6 ft privacy). My neighbors who live directly next door also have their backyard fenced. The portion of fence that divides the 2 properties is their fence. The former owner of my home built 3 sides of fenced tying onto to my neighbors fence. I have lived here 3 years now and nothing has been said about the fence. He did tell me that he did give the former home owner permission to do that. Well now I have built a dog run inside my back yard (6ft chain link) My neighbor is pissed about this ( it does not tie onto to his fence)and now telling me I have to build my own privacy fence along side his because I'm using his property. I'm assuming his fence has been up for over 5 years as well as mine. He says his fence set 12" from property line...I do not know this for a fact. My question do I have to do this or can I set my own post in the 2 corners where my fence is tyed onto his and make sure they are not touching anymore? Thanks!

ecmst12

Fences are usually required to be placed 12 inches from the property line. But I don't know how he intends to stop you from "using" his fence, unless he is planning on removing it. He can't force you to build something on your property. Of course you also can't stop him from removing his fence if that's what he wants to do.

FarmerJ

Also keep in mind that a boundry survey will help tell you the truth as to where the lot line is VS the fence. If by chance you learn that his fence is actually right on the lot line then this is even easier for you , your free to smile and send them a copy of the survey with a letter sent certified mail politely informing them that they are mistaken about the lot line location.

154NH773

He says his fence set 12" from property line...I do not know this for a fact. My question do I have to do this or can I set my own post in the 2 corners where my fence is tyed onto his and make sure they are not touching anymore?
I disagree with those who might be implying that you can use any part of his property on your side of the fence. If you set foot on the 12" strip, you are trespassing. He cannot make you put up a fence, but he can keep you from utilizing his property. You may not put posts on his property, or tie into his fence without his permission. You can put posts on your property to end your fence short of his property.

I agree with FarmerJ that you should obtain a survey and have your corners marked before you make any judgment on how to proceed.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">