• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor is profiting off my business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lexmark

NH. I have a business that allows me to charge a parking fee. My neighbor decided to use his yard to park cars, for a fee, and is now profiting off my hard earned business. His yard is zoned commercial. Is there any law to stop this person from doing this?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

strongbus

is he following all local and state laws? cause if he is there not much you can do bout it.

2 things come to mind.

1. are there other business within walking distance that also charge their customers a parking fee and he is charging a lower fee to people so they can part in his yard and walk to the near by business and only having to pay one fee instead of all the fees for the business?

2. is he charging the same as you and getting the people who can't get parking in your yard? such as if your business get so busy there is no more parking people park in his yard instead. If this is the case you should be thanking him as it brings more business to you with the extra parking.

Mass_Shyster

NH. I have a business that allows me to charge a parking fee. My neighbor decided to use his yard to park cars, for a fee, and is now profiting off my hard earned business. His yard is zoned commercial. Is there any law to stop this person from doing this?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
If there was a law preventing it, Burger King would not open across the street from McDonald's, and CVS would not occupy the same intersection as Walgreen's.

Isis1

If there was a law preventing it, Burger King would not open across the street from McDonald's, and CVS would not occupy the same intersection as Walgreen's.
Ours is Pollo Loco, Taco Bell, Yoshinoya, and Popeye's on ONE corner, gas station on another, another gas station, and then the next corner is Walgreen's and CVS.

154NH773

My neighbor decided to use his yard to park cars, for a fee, and is now profiting off my hard earned business.
How is that?

Barring any regulatory violation, he is free to offer the same service you are. This is America, a capitalist society, and you are in New Hampshire; Live Free or Die.

Hole9yard

if he's doing this as a business shouldn't he have a license or a permit to do this. And is he reporting this income to the IRS

justalayman

Thank you!
You are totally mistaken. He is profiting from his business which happens to be operating a parking lot. It just happens that his is in a prime location to be able to do that.

Welcome to the US world of business where innovation rules and competition could be as close as the guy next door.

justalayman

if he's doing this as a business shouldn't he have a license or a permit to do this. And is he reporting this income to the IRS
the permit or license would be specific to the area but since the OP wants to run their competition out of business, they should probably check into that. As to the IRS; the OP has no way to determine that.

154NH773

if he's doing this as a business shouldn't he have a license or a permit to do this.
That may only be determined locally. Ask your town Selectmen or Planning Board if he is violation of any ordinance or local regulation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">