• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor pulled my survey stake

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pat Kelly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

When I purchased my 4 acres of residential property I had it surveyed and staked. I have a new neighbor (about a year ago) that decided to remove the survey stake and plant a tree (I watched him do it). I asked what happened to the stake, he said he planned on having it re-staked & surveyed anyway.
Sence that time the tree died and has been covered with grass with no survey as mentioned. Now he is cutting grass and maintaining it about six feet over the property line.

I re-measured my property from the other survey stakes and placed a new stake on what I believe to be the just short of the property line. Found that stake a week later pulled out and put 3' over into my property.

Do I need to force him to pay for and stake and survey the lot line to replace the one he removed?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

You need to put the stake back where it was originally, cement it in, send the neighbor a letter RRR telling him that you have tried to be nice and you wish to get along but you are not going to lose property by squatters rights. let him know that it is trespassing to come on your property and you will take legal action if it continues, especially since you have witnessed him yourself removing the stake.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">