• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor put up a projection TV in their back yard

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjoshua

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Our neighbor permanently installed a 10' projection TV in their back yard such that it is directly viewable from my back yard and through my living room window. I can also hear the TV if I'm outside.

Does this constitute a nuisance if I cannot sit on my deck without being distracted by their TV?

If you want to see what I'm talking about...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/84059/IMG_0931.jpg

justalayman

it would be just as much a nuisance as they being bothered by the lights in or around your house or a conversation in your backyard, you playing music while outside on the deck, or them being able to hear any sound emanating from your house.

As long as they do not exceed any limitation of a sound ordinance, I see nothing wrong with their installation.

xylene

As long as they do not exceed any limitation of a sound ordinance, I see nothing wrong with their installation.
In a state where it is illegal to pump your own gas, I suspect there may well be a law or code regulating outdoor projection equipment. ;)

OP - What happened when you called your local code enforcement office and reasonably asked / complained / reported your neighbor's jumbotron?

That would be your first step.

jjoshua

This is a new development and I have not yet contacted my local officials to determine if this is covered by zoning or other ordinances. I plan to do so. Perhaps the installation is governed by light pollution or light trespass rules.

Also, there is nothing wrong with not being allowed to pump your own gas. I enjoy not having to leave my car in the middle of winter or when it's raining.

Last edited:

justalayman

=jjoshua;3090826]This is a new development and I have not yet contacted my local officials to determine if this is covered by zoning or other ordinances. I plan to do so. Perhaps the installation is governed by light pollution or light trespass rules.
if his TV emanates too much light, then I suggest you start leaving all of your lights in and around your house off. A tv emits much less light than a low wattage incandescent lamp. If his tv is too bright, then the lights on your porch and probably inside your house are too bright too.

I have my doubts about any ordinances regardless. I would look to the CCR's of your HOA. That is more likely to provide something that speaks to this.

Also, there is nothing wrong with not being allowed to pump your own gas. I enjoy not having to leave my car in the middle of winter or when it's raining.
it's just that you CAN"T pump your own gas. I can go to a full serve station in my state if I want but I can also be trusted to be able to pump my own gas as well.

Banned_Princess

Illegal to pump your own gas!!! Now that is a law I can get behind!! :D

Job creating, and tailors to the lazy. My only issue would be, if you never pumped your own gas, when you left the state for a "no one pumps your gas" state, how would you know what to do?

I had that problem when I left NY to live in GA for a spell, I had never pumped my own gas, and the gas station attendants in Ga looked at me as if I were a total moron, when I told them I need help pumping. Important lesson learned.

jjoshua

A light is not a distraction, especially if it is not aimed directly at you.

A TV with sound and a moving image is a distraction, especially where you would not expect one.

Why do you assume that I'm covered by a HOA? Not everyone in NJ lives in a development.

Last edited:

justalayman

jjoshua;3090845]A light is not a distraction, especially if it is not aimed directly at you.
so all of your lights are shielded from emitting light in their direction? and yes, your lights are likely a distraction to them. They would be to me.

A TV with sound and a moving image is a distraction, especially where you would not expect one.
so they cannot walk across their yard either?

seriously, your arguments are very weak.

but since this is a permanent installation, you now know to expect light and movement from that area.

Why do you assume that I'm covered by a HOA? Not everyone in NJ lives in a development.
I know but you did say this:
This is a new development
I figured that meant your house was actually in a development. Not sure why I thought that but I figured it was a pretty good guess.

jjoshua

I appreciate your comments.

By your logic, I guess that I would be ok if I were to set up some strobe lights pointed at my neighbor's yard and shined a laser pointer at their screen whenever it's on.

xylene

Perhaps the installation is governed by light pollution or light trespass rules.
Perhaps, but I suspect there are rules concerning the outdoor projection of moving images more than light trespass. (Hence why video billboards are regulated ;) )

The other advisers are just fired up after the RNC convention and somehow imagine your efforts for thwart your neighbors backyard jumbotron amounts to a plot to block the job creators. :D

justalayman

I appreciate your comments.

By your logic, I guess that I would be ok if I were to set up some strobe lights pointed at my neighbor's yard and shined a laser pointer at their screen whenever it's on.
but a strobe light emits much greater levels of light than a television and a laser emits a much more intense beam. And you go ahead and shine that laser though. I doubt it will even be noticed.

but, just so you know, that is an intentional act to cause distress. That changes the game altogether.

You Are Guilty

Your only hope is to find a local code or rule that would prohibit the TV (does neighbor invite people over to watch? That strikes me as something more likely to be prohibited).

To be honest though, I would be more offended that he's watching Al Sharpton back there than anything else. That alone is borderline harassment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">