• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor Removed Surveyor Wire Flag

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boodaddy

Hello,

I live in Ohio, and we had a neighbor dispute over land, and the neighbor was claiming that he owned some of my land. I had a survey done, and it was in my favor which the neighbor still refuses to believe the surveyor.

His brother has been seen twice stomping on the wire flag to bend it. One day I went outside, and the wire flag had been removed, and thrown by my tree. I put the wire flag back right in the middle of the surveyor stake where it was previously.

The metal stake and grass is even spray painted to mark the location. My question is can I get in trouble for putting the wire flag back? My neighbor came outside and took pictures like I was breaking the law. Because the metal stake is there, I didn't see a problem with putting the wire flag back. Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Appreciate your time

Antigone*

Hello,

I live in Ohio, and we had a neighbor dispute over land, and the neighbor was claiming that he owned some of my land. I had a survey done, and it was in my favor which the neighbor still refuses to believe the surveyor.

His brother has been seen twice stomping on the wire flag to bend it. One day I went outside, and the wire flag had been removed, and thrown by my tree. I put the wire flag back right in the middle of the surveyor stake where it was previously.

The metal stake and grass is even spray painted to mark the location. My question is can I get in trouble for putting the wire flag back? My neighbor came outside and took pictures like I was breaking the law. Because the metal stake is there, I didn't see a problem with putting the wire flag back. Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Appreciate your time
No you are not breaking the law. Don't worry about the neighbor taking pictures. In fact next time smile.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Hello,

Appreciate your time
Can we assume you did not step or trespass on the neighbor's yard to put the flag back up? He would certainly seem pretty silly to an officer trying to explain that one.

Has the land dispute been solved?

boodaddy

Can we assume you did not step or trespass on the neighbor's yard to put the flag back up? He would certainly seem pretty silly to an officer trying to explain that one.

Has the land dispute been solved?
My land marker ends at the corner of the shared city driveway, so I wasn't on his property. This is the other issue. He is claiming that the driveway is his as well, and not only was the surveyor here, he brought the Ohio City Engineer with him to confirm it, and both confirmed it was a city driveway as well as the city auditor, and he still refuses to believe it.

I tried to do everything the legal way because he has threatened bodily harm if I stepped on his property or the driveway, but it seems like I have gotten nowhere. He won't listen to anyone who tells him this.

He called the police that day I had the survey done and they left, and a cop came out and literally disagreed with the surveyor, and city engineer, and even took out tape measure and said this is not right lol. He said he worked at codes and permits for a year. I told him that doesn't give you the right to disagree with a surveyor, and city engineer. (Surveyor Used Lasers, Not Tape Measure) The cop made things 100 times worse.

Really appreciate your time, and advice guys. This worried me. I tried contacting my surveyor, but he is swamped with clients, and hasn't got back with me yet.

Last edited:

STEPHAN

Call the chief of police and let him know that his cop is trying to know things better than the City Engineer. I am sure he will not be happy that his cop got involved.

Ben T

Most states have a penalty for willfully destroying, or altering a surveyor's mark. I would check with local laws/statutes regarding that.

Sorry you have a crazy neighbor too. And cop. :)

FlyingRon

Most states have a penalty for willfully destroying, or altering a surveyor's mark. I would check with local laws/statutes regarding that.

Sorry you have a crazy neighbor too. And cop. :)
The ribbons and flags aren't really a surveyors mark. They're just things that call attention to where those marks are (usually iron pins or pipes, etc...). They're not designed to be permanent.

Ben T

The ribbons and flags aren't really a surveyors mark. They're just things that call attention to where those marks are (usually iron pins or pipes, etc...). They're not designed to be permanent.
Yes. Spaced out. For some reason I interpreted that the guy had removed surveyors marks/monuments.

Cheers

Cedrus

Why not stay on your side of the property....and drive some iron pipe into the ground, close to the surveyor's iron pipe.....on your side, of course. This will serve a location marker, for you, if someone removes the surveyor's markers.

Yours, of course will be deep enough (maybe with some QuickCrete) that GodZilla could not pull them out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">