• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor Sprayed Pesticides on my bushes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Resiemor

What is the name of your state? WISCONSIN

Last week my neigbhor was cutting the bushes that grew through the mesh fence on her side -- and she was cramming them into my bushes. I know can she cut them legally, but she doesn't have the right to throw them back at me.

This week, she got so pissed off, she killed all my raspberries with Weed-Be-Gone.

I called the police, they came out, could clearly see along her fence line and 2 feet in on my side -- my bushes were dying from a toxin. All the raspberries up and down the fence line were dying. Today they are dead.

The woman admitted to using Weed-be-gone on her side but totally denied touching my side of the bushes with the it.

Since she denied it, they didn't ticket, fine or arrest her. I asked them to cite her for trespassing and they said they wouldn't get involved with he said, she said with regard to branches -- even when I said she pruned them on my side and you could see where.

She is friends with the police chief and even told the officer in front of me to call him -- outright.

We made raspberry liquor with raspberries from the bushes she killed. We have to throw that away now...

How can I get fair protection under the law?

rmet4nzkx

Call the police, get the incident #, take your pictures, get an estimate to replace the bushes, calculate the ammount of the berries killed/annual production, go to store and price fresh berries, calculate cost of berries lost times the length of time to re plant berries and mature (years?). cost of raspberry liquore lost keep bottle for evidence. Go to small claims court.

CAUTION:
Berries are invasive and don't make for good neighbors if they don't want them also, raspberries require regular pruning and you knew this neighbor didn't want them because they had already trimed you spruce tree back to the property line. She may argue that you could have easily prevented the problem by pruning and/or pulling and tieing the wayward canes to your side of the fence, then you would have all of your berries and plants. Also, the hebicide kills by contact with the leaves, she had every right to spray them on her side of the fence, even though it kills the entire plant. Actually they may come back next spring. Even though you say she pruned them 1 foot on your side of the fence, that is easily accomplished by pruning them on her side and they spring back on your side. I can understand why she was pushing the canes back to your side, why should she have to dispose of your thorny canes?

R

Resiemor

I didn't plant the raspberries...they grew wild. This is her old yard and she had a huge patch of them and they seeded everywhere. We've just let them go and harvested them.

By the way, she didn't spray the raspberries on her side. She went over the fence and sprayed 2 feet ON MY SIDE-- and killed the bushes on my side. She didn't just spray her side -- she went over the fence. THERE IS NOTHING GROWING ON HER SIDE.

Don't I have the right to have raspberries on MY SIDE?

Thanks for the suggestion about small claims court.

rmet4nzkx

She sprayed them on her side of the fence, it is a wire fence the spray can fly through the air. It hits the leaves hanging over on her side and it kills the whole plant rooted on your side. If the canes came up from seeds, they are WILD and not cultivated, essentially, weeds. They will again, next year keep them pulled onto your side of the property. From what you tell me, you may even have less of a case, maybe Judge Judy will be interested?

R

Resiemor

Thanks for your comments. I think it is best if I install video cameras. That will show her dirty deeds fair and square.

S

Susan Elaine

Poisoned plants

I live in Texas. and would like to know what you did about the videocameras. Did you find some that work at night, when she is likely to poison them?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">