• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor Sprays Flowers In My Yard

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hereticzero

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska.

My neighbor does not like flowers except what he approves of. I found him the other day spraying my yard where I have flowers planted. I believe this to be an act of vandalism as there is no law requiring me to spray my yard. My neighbor used the excuse that I had dandilions in my yard, so he felt compelled to come over without my permission, trespass onto my yard and spray everywhere and he killed my spring flowers. I also plant saffron crocus in the same area and I believe he may have killed about $100 worth of bulbs. Saffron sells for around $73 an ounce--if my saffron comes up, I cannot sell it because he contaminated it with chemicals, it has to be 'organic' saffron (without pesticides or other chemical agents) or I cannot sell it. I sent him a letter telling him he was not allowed to trespass on my property nor was he allowed to spray my yard for any reason without my permission which he will never get. He is a neighborhood bully that delights in causing problems.

I was wondering what remedy I may have if he trespasses and sprays my yard and destroys my flowers?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

My neighbor does not like flowers except what he approves of. I found him the other day spraying my yard where I have flowers planted. I believe this to be an act of vandalism as there is no law requiring me to spray my yard. My neighbor used the excuse that I had dandilions in my yard, so he felt compelled to come over without my permission, trespass onto my yard and spray everywhere and he killed my spring flowers. I also plant saffron crocus in the same area and I believe he may have killed about $100 worth of bulbs. Saffron sells for around $73 an ounce--if my saffron comes up, I cannot sell it because he contaminated it with chemicals, it has to be 'organic' saffron (without pesticides or other chemical agents) or I cannot sell it. I sent him a letter telling him he was not allowed to trespass on my property nor was he allowed to spray my yard for any reason without my permission which he will never get. He is a neighborhood bully that delights in causing problems.

I was wondering what remedy I may have if he trespasses and sprays my yard and destroys my flowers?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Good fences make great neighbors!

Isis1

you file a police report.

TigerD

You might want to consider mounting a camera on your crop. Having evidence of him vandalizing your property is much stronger than saying I know it was him.

DC

hereticzero

I am installing security cameras this week, and in more than one place. According to one web site I went to, before I can file a complaint of trespassing, if the property does not have a 'No Trespassing' sign, I have to notify the individual first not to come onto my property, and this is solved by sending a letter, which I did today. It will be interesting over the next few days to see what this guy is going to do. He once worked for the city, got fired, and he still thinks he carries weight at City Hall.

Mass_Shyster

Sue the bad person.

The measure of damages for the destruction of an unmatured growing crop is the value the crop would have had if it had matured, minus any savings to the plaintiff in the costs of producing, harvesting, and transporting the crop to market. Bristol v. Rasmussen, 249 Neb. 854, 863, 547 N.W.2d 120, 127 (Neb.,1996)

hereticzero

I think the letter I mailed to him did the trick. He just came to my house and apologized profusely, which I think is an act but I'll accept it for now since we are neighbors. However, he stuck his finger in my face and told me real neighbors talk eye to eye and do not send letters. So I take that finger pointing as a threat, implied. So I looked at him eye to eye and said, 'get off my property.' He apologized again and then left. I'll replant my flowers in the fall.

This guy is a bully and thinks he can take advantage of anyone he wants to and that some how he has a right to take advantage of someone's good nature. I do not like to fight with people and I do not like to argue with people, I'm disabled and cannot be fighting with people and this neighbor took it as an indication to take advantage.

HomeGuru

I think the letter I mailed to him did the trick. He just came to my house and apologized profusely, which I think is an act but I'll accept it for now since we are neighbors. However, he stuck his finger in my face and told me real neighbors talk eye to eye and do not send letters. So I take that finger pointing as a threat, implied. So I looked at him eye to eye and said, 'get off my property.' He apologized again and then left. I'll replant my flowers in the fall.

This guy is a bully and thinks he can take advantage of anyone he wants to and that some how he has a right to take advantage of someone's good nature. I do not like to fight with people and I do not like to argue with people, I'm disabled and cannot be fighting with people and this neighbor took it as an indication to take advantage.
**A: built a 6 foot CMU wall.

ecmst12

Don't you need something like 100 pounds of flowers to get one ounce of saffron? How big is your yard? Could you realistically have grown enough even without his interference to even cover the costs of the bulbs?

justalayman

Don't you need something like 100 pounds of flowers to get one ounce of saffron? How big is your yard? Could you realistically have grown enough even without his interference to even cover the costs of the bulbs?
saffron
Coming from the dried stigmas of the saffron crocus, it takes 75,000 blossoms or 225,000 hand-picked stigmas to make a single pound which explains why it is the world’s most expensive spice.
so that means you only need 4688 blossoms to end up with 1 ounce.

One site said when first planted you will get 1 or 2 blossoms per bulb an after 3 years of so up to 8 or so so that means you will only need 586 mature bulbs to harvest 1 ounce of saffron.

I have seen some prices of 50 bulbs for $30 so that means you will spend about $350 to buy enough bulbs to produce 1 ounce of saffron per year after they have been producing for 3 or more years.

hereticzero

I could not sue for business loss, only for vandalism. The bulbs serve more purpose than just as pretty flowers. The saffron cost is why I plant my own. I cannot use saffron for spice that has been sprayed. Would anyone? An organic garden is not organic if someone sprays weed killer and who knows what all over it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">