• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor spying on me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Silver91

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? PA

I live in a townhouse built in 1850 in a small city. Years ago a portion of my house was torn down creating a walkway between the buildings. The front part of my house is still attached to the neighbor's. While I was away, the neighbor installed a security camera on their roof in the front of the house. It sticks out across the property line and points rearward and down at my walkway. My roof in the front is 5' lower than the other. I put a free standing board on my roof to block the camera. The neighbor called the police and they threatened me with a vague citation if I didn't remove the board. Is this a police matter ? Can a camera look on private property without the owner's permission ? If it extends over the property line, can I block it ? The neighbor won't talk to me, and I have been unsuccessful in hiring an attorney for other property disputes with the neighbor.

Thanks
CJ

JETX

"Is this a police matter ?"
If you mean is your problem a police matter, the answer is no.

"Can a camera look on private property without the owner's permission ?"
*** Unless there is an 'expectation of privacy' (as in a bathroom, bedroom, inside the house, etc.), then yes.

"If it extends over the property line, can I block it ?"
*** If the camera itself extends over the property line, you can remove it. If you mean if the VISION of the camera extends over the line, you can block it with anything you want (and within zoning, construction, etc. laws) as long as the 'block' is on YOUR property.

nextwife

Good heavens. If you are that paranoid, why not just "landscape" the portion of the yard at your lot linne that the camera would view across? A tall arbor or trellis with a huge ivy basket on top, cascading down over the view? Clematis, Cypris Vine, Sweet Pea, or Morning glory or Canadian Climbing Roses at the base, growing in front of the side view into your lot? This time of year you can pick up Arch Rose arbors very cheap.

S

Silver91

nextwife said:
Good heavens. If you are that paranoid, why not just "landscape" the portion of the yard at your lot linne that the camera would view across? A tall arbor or trellis with a huge ivy basket on top, cascading down over the view? Clematis, Cypris Vine, Sweet Pea, or Morning glory or Canadian Climbing Roses at the base, growing in front of the side view into your lot? This time of year you can pick up Arch Rose arbors very cheap.
Paranoid ? If you were to be on someone's video tape going about your business, would you be okay with that ? I think the fact that a camera has been placed would suggest paranoia. You haven't addressed any of the issues.

P.S. Don't bother replying if you are going to insult me. Perhaps you should find another site where you can voice your juevenile comments.

S

Silver91

JETX said:
"Is this a police matter ?"
If you mean is your problem a police matter, the answer is no.

"Can a camera look on private property without the owner's permission ?"
*** Unless there is an 'expectation of privacy' (as in a bathroom, bedroom, inside the house, etc.), then yes.

"If it extends over the property line, can I block it ?"
*** If the camera itself extends over the property line, you can remove it. If you mean if the VISION of the camera extends over the line, you can block it with anything you want (and within zoning, construction, etc. laws) as long as the 'block' is on YOUR property.
Thanks for the reply

As far as the police question, I want to know if the police can order me to remove the board. Also, the camera body extends over the line and the "vision" extends over the line. Is it a crime if I remove the camera myself ?

Thanks
CJ

JETX

Silver91 said:
As far as the police question, I want to know if the police can order me to remove the board.
Of course they can ask you to, but 'order' you to do so?? Unless placing or having the board is a violation of criminal statute, no.

Also, the camera body extends over the line and the "vision" extends over the line. Is it a crime if I remove the camera myself ?
If the camera or any PART of the camera support, etc. extends BEYOND the property line.... I would suggest you make DAMN sure and you document it by taking pictures, video, witnesses, etc...... then you can remove it. Do not extend ANY part of your person or property (ladders, etc.) beyond the vertical property line or you could be charged with trespass.
Disclaimer: Of course, I have NOT seen the claimed violation or whether it in fact encroaching your property or not. The determination of that, and possible repercussions if not, are purely at your risk.

S

Silver91

JETX said:
Of course they can ask you to, but 'order' you to do so?? Unless placing or having the board is a violation of criminal statute, no.

If the camera or any PART of the camera support, etc. extends BEYOND the property line.... I would suggest you make DAMN sure and you document it by taking pictures, video, witnesses, etc...... then you can remove it. Do not extend ANY part of your person or property (ladders, etc.) beyond the vertical property line or you could be charged with trespass.
Disclaimer: Of course, I have NOT seen the claimed violation or whether it in fact encroaching your property or not. The determination of that, and possible repercussions if not, are purely at your risk.
Since the camera extends beyond the vertical property line, is it trespassing on my property ? How do I charge someone with trespassing ?

Thanks
CJ

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Take a chainsaw to the damn thing!

Cut through only that portion of the camera that's physically extending over the property line. Think of it as trimming a tree branch.

IAAL

Happy Trails

Silver91 said:
Since the camera extends beyond the vertical property line, is it trespassing on my property ? How do I charge someone with trespassing ?

Thanks
CJ
**What good would that do? He would just relocate his camera to be on his property. You still would have the same problem.

JETX

Happy Trails said:
**What good would that do? He would just relocate his camera to be on his property. You still would have the same problem.
Yeah, but then the OP would have a camera to aim back!!! :D
Kind of ironic to use his own camera to aim at him (and of course, place it far enough away from the property line so HE can't get it!!).

Happy Trails

JETX said:
Yeah, but then the OP would have a camera to aim back!!! :D
Kind of ironic to use his own camera to aim at him (and of course, place it far enough away from the property line so HE can't get it!!).
**That would be funny.

Wonder why this person has their camera aimed at the poster at all. Some kind of perve or something.

S

Silver91

Happy Trails said:
If the camera were located on the neighbor's property, then the vision of the camera would be limited to the rooftop of his house. These are townhouses with no yards. Think of it as trying to drop a rock over the edge of a building roof without extending the rock or your hand over the edge.

S

Silver91

Happy Trails said:
If the camera were located on the neighbor's property, then the vision of the camera would be limited to the rooftop of his house. These are townhouses with no yards. Think of it as trying to drop a rock over the edge of a building roof without extending the rock or your hand over the edge.

P.S. What is the procedure to charge someone with trespassing ?

Happy Trails

Silver91 said:

P.S. What is the procedure to charge someone with trespassing ?
**Oh, I have a clearer picture now.

**Call your local law enforcement and show them that he has tresspassed and you would like to press charges.

**But I like JETX's idea. Why not just turn it on him and then put up a no tresspassing sign next to his camera. Then catch him tresspassing trying to retrieve it. LOL

**Do you know why he is doing this?

N

needad

Happy Trails said:
**Oh, I have a clearer picture now.

**Call your local law enforcement and show them that he has tresspassed and you would like to press charges.

**But I like JETX's idea. Why not just turn it on him and then put up a no tresspassing sign next to his camera. Then catch him tresspassing trying to retrieve it. LOL

**Do you know why he is doing this?
This neighbor is making an unreasonable interference with the use and enjoyment of your property, “Nuisance” by listening to your conversations and observing your conduct which is meant to be private by using devices, “Eavesdropping”. I would check with your state or city ordinance law to see if they can be issued a citation for being a nuisance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">