• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor tearing down fence on porperty line

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

auntnana

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? TN

My grandfather built a wooden post and barbed wired fence 50 years ago on our farm to keep the cattle in. The fence was built on the property line because all surrounding land was also farm/pasture land and that's the way all the neighbors agreed.

All surveys show the fence smack dab in the center of the property line. Yesterday our neighbor, whos been our neighbor for less than 2 years now, started to tear down the fence. I ran out and asked her what she was doing. Said she didn't want the fence there, was going to get rid of it. I very, very politely told her that the fence did not belong to her, and she didn't have permission to modify it in any way. Her reply was "watch me". I called the sheriff and he told her she had to stop until she had documentation from the court that she was within her rights. We are in the county, no city gov. involved.

So of course my question is - who's in the right here?

BelizeBreeze

You both are. At the present time she can't touch the fence. But, once she can prove it extends one ince onto her property she can petition the court to force you to move it.

I sure hope it's not concrete anchored. That's a bear to move.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">