• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A Neighbor Threatened My Life And Was Arrested...I Had to Move. Looking For Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LimbicPastry

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Here is a shortened version of what has been happening.

My partner and I moved into an Apartment in Port Saint Lucie in Feb. 2014 at that time one of the neighbors was being rude and aggressive. He had been playing his music loudly at all hours of the day and night. He would tailgate me when I would leave the neighborhood and had allowed his dog to bite my dog. We had made multiple contacts with property management about these situations. They had only tried to resolve the conflict one time with us by having a meeting with us and instructing us to call the Port Saint Lucie Police Department to come out and handle this neighbor.

On Aug. 29 2014 we contacted the Port Saint Lucie Police department to file an anonymous noise complaint as his music could be heard clear enough to hear the lyrics and had been going on for over an hour. After the police had come and gone this neighbor then came out of his unit and began to threaten my partner and myself. He said, “You’re Done! You’re finished! You better move! Latin Kings! You F*** with one, you F*** with all of us!” We then called the police to come back out as we then hid in the innermost room of our unit out of fear for our lives. After a few minutes, He then exited his front door and began to climb the stairs to our front door as he was yelling “You’re dead bitch! Latin Kings! You’re Dead Bitch!” At that time he was then arrested and the police had shortly thereafter come up to our apartment and taken our official statements. That same night I was called a Dyke and ****** and people within the neighbor’s apartment were stating how badly they wanted to beat my ass and how much they hate people like me and my partner, how were just trouble.

My partner and I then fled the apartment complex that night out of fear and were not able to return to the apartment complex for 7 days when the apartment complex property manager was finally able and willing to meet our demands for a transfer to a new unit at NO COST OR FEES to us and he would need to hire movers as well. He did hire two men with a trailer and truck to move us on Sept. 7 2014 into a different building at the front of the complex. For no transfer fee, no application fee, no deposits and no pet fee. However he is now trying to charge us a cleaning fee because he did not walk through the unit after we left the unit, which is frustrating because we cleaned the unit after we moved out.

The property manager also assured us that the neighbor would be removed from the property as soon as possible and that we would no longer have any issues with him. However, this neighbor is currently driving past our new apartment building at least 2-3 times a week since we have moved. The way the property is laid out this man does not need to do this. We have been informed that there may be security cameras on the property that could show this. It is bothersome because it is furthering our fear because his gang threats are terrifying and I am having a hard time sleeping and I am always scared to take my dog outside and even go on my porch to smoke a cigarette because I don’t know if he has a gun. I don’t know if he is going to hit his gas pedal because I am walking my dog so he can run me over. And I have seen nothing in the court records to prove that my property manager is trying to evict this man. There is nothing when I search the apartment complex name or their corporate company name or the neighbor’s name that shows up.

I also feel like this is completely unfair. This man assaults me and my partner and now we had to move and moving is an inconvenience in and of itself. Plus we had to stay out of our apartment for 7 days because we were too afraid to go home. Now to make it worse as we are trying to return to normal this guy is still trying to intimidate us by driving by our building. I feel like a child by saying it’s not fair but I just don’t know what else to say – it’s not. This guy can say the things he said to us and live a free life without punishment and now I have to pay fees to my apartment complex because I HAD TO MOVE. It doesn’t seem fair to me. And I have to sleep uneasily at night and I have to look over my shoulder everywhere I go and wonder if today is the day this psycho will jump me or try to kill me? Or what if he is in a gang? Will his gang come rape me or Kill me? Is he driving by my new home because he is going to do a drive by shooting?

Anyways, I am hoping that consulting a lawyer could maybe help. My friends said I should that maybe I have a case against someone. I just don’t know what type of case or against who.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Anyways, I am hoping that consulting a lawyer could maybe help. My friends said I should that maybe I have a case against someone. I just don’t know what type of case or against who.
Well, by all means then, feel free to consult a lawyer. :cool:

TigerD

This guy can say the things he said to us and live a free life without punishment and now I have to pay fees to my apartment complex because I HAD TO MOVE. It doesn’t seem fair to me.
1. You didn't have to move. You chose to move.
2. Toughen up buttercup. You met a bully and gave him all the power he wanted.

And I have to sleep uneasily at night and I have to look over my shoulder everywhere I go and wonder if today is the day this psycho will jump me or try to kill me? Or what if he is in a gang? Will his gang come rape me or Kill me? Is he driving by my new home because he is going to do a drive by shooting?
Q1: No. You don't have to. It seems, however, that you choose to live in fear.
Q2: Maybe, maybe not. Mostly likely not.
Q3: Maybe, most likely not.

You might be better served with some Tai Kwon Do or other self-defense training.

DC

RRevak

1. You didn't have to move. You chose to move.
2. Toughen up buttercup. You met a bully and gave him all the power he wanted.

Q1: No. You don't have to. It seems, however, that you choose to live in fear.
Q2: Maybe, maybe not. Mostly likely not.
Q3: Maybe, most likely not.

You might be better served with some Tai Kwon Do or other self-defense training.

DC
Living as close to PSL as I do and knowing the level of gang activity up there, I'd be nervous too. I personally wouldn't be relying on any Tai Kwon Do...

Just Blue

Here is a shortened version of what has been happening.

My partner and I moved into an Apartment in Port Saint Lucie in Feb. 2014 at that time one of the neighbors was being rude and aggressive. He had been playing his music loudly at all hours of the day and night. He would tailgate me when I would leave the neighborhood and had allowed his dog to bite my dog. We had made multiple contacts with property management about these situations. They had only tried to resolve the conflict one time with us by having a meeting with us and instructing us to call the Port Saint Lucie Police Department to come out and handle this neighbor.

On Aug. 29 2014 we contacted the Port Saint Lucie Police department to file an anonymous noise complaint as his music could be heard clear enough to hear the lyrics and had been going on for over an hour. After the police had come and gone this neighbor then came out of his unit and began to threaten my partner and myself. He said, “You’re Done! You’re finished! You better move! Latin Kings! You F*** with one, you F*** with all of us!” We then called the police to come back out as we then hid in the innermost room of our unit out of fear for our lives. After a few minutes, He then exited his front door and began to climb the stairs to our front door as he was yelling “You’re dead bitch! Latin Kings! You’re Dead Bitch!” At that time he was then arrested and the police had shortly thereafter come up to our apartment and taken our official statements. That same night I was called a Dyke and ****** and people within the neighbor’s apartment were stating how badly they wanted to beat my ass and how much they hate people like me and my partner, how were just trouble.

My partner and I then fled the apartment complex that night out of fear and were not able to return to the apartment complex for 7 days when the apartment complex property manager was finally able and willing to meet our demands for a transfer to a new unit at NO COST OR FEES to us and he would need to hire movers as well. He did hire two men with a trailer and truck to move us on Sept. 7 2014 into a different building at the front of the complex. For no transfer fee, no application fee, no deposits and no pet fee. However he is now trying to charge us a cleaning fee because he did not walk through the unit after we left the unit, which is frustrating because we cleaned the unit after we moved out.

The property manager also assured us that the neighbor would be removed from the property as soon as possible and that we would no longer have any issues with him. However, this neighbor is currently driving past our new apartment building at least 2-3 times a week since we have moved. The way the property is laid out this man does not need to do this. We have been informed that there may be security cameras on the property that could show this. It is bothersome because it is furthering our fear because his gang threats are terrifying and I am having a hard time sleeping and I am always scared to take my dog outside and even go on my porch to smoke a cigarette because I don’t know if he has a gun. I don’t know if he is going to hit his gas pedal because I am walking my dog so he can run me over. And I have seen nothing in the court records to prove that my property manager is trying to evict this man. There is nothing when I search the apartment complex name or their corporate company name or the neighbor’s name that shows up.

I also feel like this is completely unfair. This man assaults me and my partner and now we had to move and moving is an inconvenience in and of itself. Plus we had to stay out of our apartment for 7 days because we were too afraid to go home. Now to make it worse as we are trying to return to normal this guy is still trying to intimidate us by driving by our building. I feel like a child by saying it’s not fair but I just don’t know what else to say – it’s not. This guy can say the things he said to us and live a free life without punishment and now I have to pay fees to my apartment complex because I HAD TO MOVE. It doesn’t seem fair to me. And I have to sleep uneasily at night and I have to look over my shoulder everywhere I go and wonder if today is the day this psycho will jump me or try to kill me? Or what if he is in a gang? Will his gang come rape me or Kill me? Is he driving by my new home because he is going to do a drive by shooting?

OP...Get your big girl panties on and own your home. If you and your wife are afraid where you live? Move. Out of the hood, city, state ...whatever. But be aware...Bad and intolerant people live everwhere. One must deal.

TigerD

Living as close to PSL as I do and knowing the level of gang activity up there, I'd be nervous too. I personally wouldn't be relying on any Tai Kwon Do...
I used to cover the treasure coast for Scripts Howard. I worked out the Vero PJ during the 2000 elections. Martial arts training teaches awareness and threat assessment. That confidence in one's self changes how you perceive potential threats. The key is learning about ones self not going Chuck Norris on a baddie. You learn to avoid trouble and handle the trouble you find.

DC

Last edited:

tranquility

I may or may not disagree with the consensus.

Gangs and friends can have an influence.

Are you afraid of crazyperson, or afraid of the entirety of crazyperson?

RRevak

I used to cover the treasure coast for Scripts Howard. I worked out the Vero PJ during the 2000 elections. Martial arts training teaches awareness and threat assessment. That confidence in one's self changes how you perceive potential threats. The key is learning about ones self not going Chuck Norris on a baddie. You learn to avoid trouble and handle the trouble you find.

DC
Are we neighbors then? :D

I definitely agree with you on the self confidence. But for many, being threatened with gang violence as well as a community that has decided you're one of "those" people can make it very hard on someone already living a life full of difficulty.

LimbicPastry

Really.....

Thanks for all the useless advice.....

I would have been better suited looking for advice from a rock then on here**************

And in response to any of you who stated that we did not have to move - I invite you to then live near the a-hole who threatened us.

We are also aware that intolerant bigots live everywhere. Thanks. And I do have my big girl panties on and I deal with it every dam day of my life I just believe that I should NOT have to live in fear of a man who wants to intimidate us. I was looking for some actual legal advice and not a bunch of people who wanted to tell me to get some self-defense classes.

FYI I am ex-military so no I do not need self defense training. That doesn't take the fear of dying out of living in fear out of my life. Thanks. :mad:

TigerD

I would have been better suited looking for advice from a rock then on here**************

And in response to any of you who stated that we did not have to move - I invite you to then live near the a-hole who threatened us.

We are also aware that intolerant bigots live everywhere. Thanks. And I do have my big girl panties on and I deal with it every dam day of my life I just believe that I should NOT have to live in fear of a man who wants to intimidate us. I was looking for some actual legal advice and not a bunch of people who wanted to tell me to get some self-defense classes.

FYI I am ex-military so no I do not need self defense training. That doesn't take the fear of dying out of living in fear out of my life. Thanks. :mad:
Now, see, if you had stood up to him like that ....

DC

Silverplum

Go find whoever it was that told you life should be fair.

Kick that person, hard, in the shins.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">