• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor took down my fence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fencegal

My neighbor had the property line between our properties surveyed. The fence fell mostly on my side with the occasional post on his. I believe it was put up before either of us moves to the houses but am pretty sure it was put up by my previous owner due to a gate it was attached to in my property. He informed me in Friday morning he planned to take the fence down. I said I didn't agree since it was on my property and to leave it. If he wanted to build an additional fence to do so on his property. By that afternoon the fence was tore down and the fencing material in his garage. I called the cops and they said there was nothing they could do. This is because the fence was gone so no evidence where it had been. Today they just took down another fence that was one my property line. What can I do?!

Define Mostly...

My neighbor had the property line between our properties surveyed. The fence fell mostly on my side with the occasional post on his. I believe it was put up before either of us moves to the houses but am pretty sure it was put up by my previous owner due to a gate it was attached to in my property. He informed me in Friday morning he planned to take the fence down. I said I didn't agree since it was on my property and to leave it. If he wanted to build an additional fence to do so on his property. By that afternoon the fence was tore down and the fencing material in his garage. I called the cops and they said there was nothing they could do. This is because the fence was gone so no evidence where it had been. Today they just took down another fence that was one my property line. What can I do?!
You say the fence fell mostly on your side. Is the falling down of this fence due to a recent storm or simply due to it's age?
What can you do is have a new survey done. At your expense, and then have someone explain to you what a property line is. You can't claim ownership of something that is shared because you seem to think you have more on it than he has.
The original survey could been off and maybe your mostly is out of line.
It sounds like you had nothing to do with the building of the original fence at all. As far as the taking down of the fence, maybe he had to go through your mostly to get to his mostly.
ya think?
You want to take him to court? OK, but keep in mind he could sue you for half the cost of the survey and a new fence...
If I were you I'd quit your bitching and take over a pot of coffee and a pound cake and decide what color to paint the new fence that may wind up not costing you a dime..
That's what a good neighbor would do...

.._____________________
~ Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority,
and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that, it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end. ~ unknown

Last edited:

nobodyBUTme

You want to take him to court? OK, but keep in mind he could sue you for half the cost of the survey and a new fence...
If I were you I'd quit your bitching and take over a pot of coffee and a pound cake and decide what color to paint the new fence that may wind up not costing you a dime..

.._____________________
~ Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority,
and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that, it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end. ~ unknown
Wow, that's great free advice. The person destroyed her private property. Get a lawyer honey...the police won't help you.

LdiJ

You say the fence fell mostly on your side. Is the falling down of this fence due to a recent storm or simply due to it's age?
The OP specifically said that the neighbor tore it down.

What can you do is have a new survey done. At your expense, and then have someone explain to you what a property line is. You can't claim ownership of something that is shared because you seem to think you have more on it than he has.
She did not say it was shared, she said that it was mostly on her property. Even if you want to consider it shared, the neighbor still could not tear it down without the OP's agreement.

The neighbor did a new survey and the OP clearly isn't disagreeing with the survey.

It sounds like you had nothing to do with the building of the original fence at all. As far as the taking down of the fence, maybe he had to go through your mostly to get to his mostly.
ya think?
Irrelevant

He absolutely cannot sue for half of the survey. It was his choice to have one done. He tore down her property, he certainly cannot sue her for 1/2 of the cost of replacing the fence.

This whole post was pretty horrible advice in my opinion.

.._____________________
and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that, it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end. ~ unknown[/QUOTE]

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
The fence didn't fall. By "fell mostly", OP means that most of the support posts are on OP's side of the property line. Some posts were not on OP's side of the property line.

The neighbor was irritated after the survey that any portion of the fencing was on his side of the line and chose to unilaterally remove all the fencing.

The neighbor could have asked that the occasional post on his side of the line be moved to OP's side, given a reasonable deadline by which it should happen (which would have no legal weight, but would at least be a reasonable gesture on the part of the neighbor), and OP might have agreed.

Instead, the neighbor removed the entire fence, a fence that was not his.

ya think?
You are so wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">