• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor trespass, fenced off my property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cam67ssrs

Florida
The neighbors to my left had a 4' chain link fence installed directly on the property line. For privacy, I had a 6' privacy fence built and had it set 14 inches inside my property line so I could maintain it. Last year, the neighbors removed most of their chain link fence in the back yard and connected it to my fence in the front to keep their dog in. By doing this, I can no longer access my property along the fenceline. The past few weeks they have begun installing sprinklers and plants against my fence and, just recently, poured concrete, which has seeped under my fence and into my backyard. They also have debris stacked and pushing against my fence, causing it to lean. I have asked them to vacate my property, but they won't. They removed the survey stake and torn down the no trespass signs I posted. In seven years, I understand they could claim my property thru adverse possession. The county Code Enforcement tells me this is a civil matter, but I cannot afford an attorney. Please help with any advice you can offer.

justalayman

send them a letter telling them to remove everything off your property. If they refuse, give them a date you will disconnect their fence connection from your fence. If that date rolls around, make sure the dog is inside or otherwise restrained and remove the connection. At that time, make sure they are aware of your actions before they have an opportunity to let the dog loose in the now open area.

If they attempt to reconnect the fence, call the police. While most of it is a civil matter, them connecting to your fence is a trespass both civil and criminal.

I would also invest in some round-up and spray your property on their side of the fence.

Ben T

Some interesting information regarding stakes and survey monuments:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/neighbors-boundaries-108/neighbor-ripped-out-survey-stake-379054.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">