• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor, ugly fence and dog poop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

feduplinven

What is the name of your state? I live in Texas.

I have a problem neighbor. They took down the cyclone fence between our properties, got a couple of surveys, and erected a privacy fence. Although the husband asked mine once if he would be interested in a privacy fence prior to this, there was no conversation beyond that. My husband told him we liked the neighborhood because of the open feel of the cyclone fencing, and the lack of tall privacy fencing. Next thing we know, up goes this ugly composite fence, not even made of wood, 6' tall with 8' metal posts, facing our back yard.

My question regarding the fence. Are we within our rights to paint the side of the fence facing our property? I believe he went to great pains to make certain the fence was over the property line on his side. Still, this ugly fence is a problem for me. Or, perhaps I can use the fence to brace vining plants?

The other problem with them now is that they are taking their dog's poop and moving it to right next to our property line in the front yard. I guess this is to discourage us from stepping on their dirt and weed patch while we mow? I really don't know. The poop is pretty disgusting.

What can I do?

FarmerJ

Learn what your local ords are regarding pet waste. Learn from your city if the fence materials and construction meets a city ord and What does your survey show about the fence and relationship to the property line ?

CraigFL

If their fence is etirely on their property, you only option may be to erect your own fence on your property to conceal it.

Of course, you could ask them if you could paint the side facing you....

feduplinven

Yes, I agree. But, they aren't trying to dispose of it. They are meticulously depositing it along our grass line.

My husband thinks, since it is a "common" fence, that we can paint it with a mural. I have not been so sure. I would like to show him where it says we cannot do this unless the fence is actually on the property line. Is this a Texas state law? I have tried to google it, and come up with nothing, either state or local. Point me in the right direction, and I can probably find it.

Thanks.

HuAi

If its on his property it's his fence, short and simple. Common sense would dictate that if you didn't pay for half of it, you shouldn't be altering it in any way or attaching to it. I suspect that the neighbor wouldnt grant permission for a mural (I know I wouldnt...maybe a solid color but not a mural).

However, if you plant vines on your property and let nature take its course, they'll grow on the fence. The branches on the fence will be legally your neighbor's property and he could cut them if he wanted to, but in reality it would be very difficult for him to do without trespassing on your backyard, and most people wouldn't bother - out of sight, out of mind. Try not to let them grow over the fence so he doesnt have to look at them.

Last edited:

YoyosaidFeia

Post a note on your neighbor's door, and nicely state that they need to clean up after their pets and the poop is producing bad odor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">