• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor want to "trim" my tree in front yard

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lisadiana

What is the name of your state? Texas

My neighbor just radically trimmed his tree in his front yard. He told me he was going to trim my tree. I told him no. He feels that you should see the house and not the tree. He told me that he doesn't want it touching his house and it's not. The tree is old and huge. There are high limbs that do cross the "property line" but none of the tree touches his property. Does he have a legal right to take it upon himself to cut on the tree?

lcannister

He can trim anything hanging on his side of the property or YOU can have it done yourself and maintain the control. He/she can not touch anything on your side of the property line.

As of late with the winds we have had come through I share the feeling of large trees looming over the house and I even cut down one of my own trees for that very reason. Though my subdivison has buried wires those areas without them are finding their larger nearby trees being cut by the city a great deal more than say 5 years ago.

Good luck and I hope it does not turn into a war, but if you do not cut it yourself he can.

FarmerJ

What ever trimming is done by the nbr it must be done in a way that does not cripple or harm the tree to the point of causing its death. Yes it would be a better thing to hire a tree trimmer to see to it that branches are a reasonable distance from the nbrs roof. If you hire it out and the people next door dont care for it , too bad it will take the tree years to gain new growth that could threaten that home again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">