• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor wants ME to build their fence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Washwo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? wa
Our property line between us was so overgrown with noxious weed that each of us hired 2 man crews each to pull the ivy working from both sides.

The ivy is mostly gone now as is their privacy. Most of the ivy was on our property, but they let their side climb up into our holly and lilacs so it was a dense forest, 30 feet high of hanging ivy which killed our ancient lilac.

20 years ago they put up one 8 foot section of fence but it was ruined and infiltrated with thick ivy so it had to go.

Now the neighbor wants me to pay for and put up a fence for their privacy.

There has never been a fence in that spot, but a pretty dense wall of lilac which is coming back...

I want to leave it, and let the lilac grow. They want us to build them a privacy fence.

I want to keep the peace, but I can't afford to pay for a fence. It's a 50 foot section. pls advise.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? wa
Our property line between us was so overgrown with noxious weed that each of us hired 2 man crews each to pull the ivy working from both sides.

The ivy is mostly gone now as is their privacy. Most of the ivy was on our property, but they let their side climb up into our holly and lilacs so it was a dense forest, 30 feet high of hanging ivy which killed our ancient lilac.

20 years ago they put up one 8 foot section of fence but it was ruined and infiltrated with thick ivy so it had to go.

Now the neighbor wants me to pay for and put up a fence for their privacy.

There has never been a fence in that spot, but a pretty dense wall of lilac which is coming back...

I want to leave it, and let the lilac grow. They want us to build them a privacy fence.

I want to keep the peace, but I can't afford to pay for a fence. It's a 50 foot section. pls advise.

From a legal standpoint, you have no obligation to build a fence. If they want privacy, they can build their own fence.

But, if you want to keep the peace, you could offer to pay half the cost of a fence...

csi7

If the neighbors want to put up a fence, they need to put up a fence.
I would not pay half, either, since you are letting the lilac grow back.

Handcoc

Just put up a video camera and begin recording .. they'll put up a fence if they want "privacy" .. they should have purchased a house somewhere else.

Washwo

Neighbor wants ME to build THEIR fence

Great advice all!
I've decided to do nothing. If they (they are renters) are weird enough to think we care about what's going on in their kitchen, jeepers.

Finally their very odiferous compost pile is exposed, which is better now. They smoke out there which has been a real drag, as the smoke comes in our bedroom window...we actually provided them with sunshine..so you're right.

THANK YOU. As I shut my window tonight to keep down the cigarette smoke I'll rest easy knowing that if they want privacy they can make it themselves.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">