• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor won't contain aggressive dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lenore Whiting

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY

Hello,

I am upset, again, about my neighbor. I live in KY, in a very rural area (no leash law.) I walk about every evening, about a mile and a half. A man down the road has a very aggressive dog. Mind you, I stay *on the road*, I do not go into this man's yard, I do not gesture towards his dog, or anything whatsoever to provoke it; but the dog (it appears to be a pug mix, but larger than a pug), the dog is very territorial and will not tolerate a person walking by their house peacefully.

It is really terrifying to be walking down the road, and have this dog charge you with teeth bared, snarling, growing like it's going to tear you apart! And there is nothing you can do; if you try to turn away, it follows you, whichever direction you turn in....this has happened so many times, and it's terrifying. It isn't just me; it does it to other people - my daughter, who is 14, told me she was walking down the street one day and the dog had her backed up against a mailbox. She couldn't get away from it; she would probably still be there except a neighbor (a relative, I believe), came out and rescued her by calling the dog down.

I have called the police at least 3 or 4 times, and they did go to see this man. He told them he "used to have" an invisible fence, but that it was broken. He did get a chain link enclosure and put it in the front yard; but he doesn't keep the dog inside it. I was just walking and the man was on his riding mower, with the dog running loose in the yard, and it came after me again.

I called the dog catcher; he told me to carry a bat and/or a gun and that if it comes after me again in the road, to bash it's head in! I really don't want to harm the dog. I'm scared of it because it is vicious and I'm afraid if I swing at it, that it will *really* attack me, then.

The dog catcher told me to call the county attorney (I've already spoken to the sheriff), and he told me his name. He has the same surname as the neighbor! And it is a very small town, and he told me the C. Attorney lived right here in this town, so I'm sure they are probably related.

I don't know what to do at this point except get some pepper spray....? I just cannot understand why anyone would want an aggressive dog! It comes out of its yard, and comes after people.

Lenore Whiting

I was just sitting here thinking and I realize I need to buy some pepper spray. I'm going to get a pack of 3, and keep it on me when I walk.

That's the only thing left I can do.

pauper_72

How big...

is the dog? Often with an aggressive dog (especially if you can be convincing) walking towards the dog while yelling NO will halt it in its tracks. I agree with the bat and pepper spray. I guess I would choose to harm the dog before it harmed my kid but that is just me. Why wont the Animal Control Officer pick the dog up? If you feel so inclined, put the county on notice (in writing regarding past instances) that failure to act to protect society / you will result in legal action towards them should injury occur. My other suggestion is walk the other direction.

swrdmbo

You could also buy a citronella spray that is very effective on dogs ( and not as bad on people if you get the wrong shift of wind).

Dogs hate it!!! Good luck

Lenore Whiting

Spoke to the County Attorney - he told me I have the right to defend myself, by pepper spray, bat, or gun.

I have some pepper spray coming so will have some defense against the thing.

If a few blasts of pepper spray don't stop it from harrassing me/trying to bite; I will then use a ball bat. I'd hate to hurt the dog, but if the man doesn't control it I have no choice. I'm not going to continue to be terrified by the d***** thing.

msiron

If the dog was VICIOUS you'd be bit. The dog is displaying his territorial instinct, I call it getting 'puff ruff' and yes it is very annoying. Many dogs do this.

2 ideas.

1. Carry treats and make friends, that way he will learn to associate you approaching with yum yum, POSITIVE but he must earn them. Sit, paw etc, call him to you with the treat.

2. Carry a spray bottle with the citronella or kick his ass back into his yard, NEGATIVE association.

Personally I'd try the treat method first. :D

Lenore Whiting

Not me. Not going to extend my hand (even with a treat in it) to a dog running full-tilt, snarling, showing teeth, and growling inches from my legs, and seconds from biting.... No thanks, I'll stick to pepper spray and/or ball bat. ;)

There are other dogs on this road - none of them behave this way - I've been around dogs all my life and I've never been afraid of them. This dog isn't merely territorial. Guess it's one of those "you'd have to be there" things....

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">