• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbor wrongly accusing me and telling neighborhood

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

matt900

What is the name of your state?I live in Illinois, and I found out yesterday that my condo neighbor believes I broke into her home and stole her dog, and she has apparently told most of the neighborhood about this...

About 6 months ago, I remember hearing her outside screaming that someone stole her dog, but then another neighbor found him standing outside the building a minute later. We were never really close friends but she did seem colder to me after that, but she never accused or confronted me or my girlfriend of anything. Yesterday, when my girlfriend and I were going to wash our cars, using the shared water outlet, she got in my girlfriend's face telling her she has no right to use the water, and that she knows that we stole her dog! She said we climbed from our balcony to hers and opened the door. When I asked her why we would steal her dog, she said "because you guys are crazy". She also said that the whole neighborhood knows about us and so do the police. The police have never questioned either of us, so I know she didn't call the police on us, but the neighbors have been less friendly, which I am assuming is from her stories.

When I get home, I want to try to talk to a few neighbors to see if she has been saying things, but what can I do if she has, besides say it's untrue? I'm not concerned that my neighbors won't be my friend, but I don't want them locking their doors because they see me coming. Should I talk to the police? Would they even be able to do anything? I should probably talk to our condo association, but they never seem to do anything, and she and our close neighbors are friendly with most of the people on the board. When she confronted and threatened us, I did try to ask her to explain and tell us why she thinks this, but it turned to name calling. We haven't had any previous disagreements or arguments with her, before this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks. Matt

PghREA

I agree with John Se - People are going to think what they want to think - why worry about it? If this happen six months ago and no one has approached you about the "dog-napping" except the crazy neighbor, just ignore the incident and get on with your life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">