• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighborhood By-laws say no "above ground pools"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

reford01

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

Not sure what to do....but here is the story:

We live in a fairly new subdivision with about 20 houses but many more empty lots. When we moved in we got a copy of the by-laws and were told that when the development was complete they would turn the by-laws over to the neighborhood and then we would be able to ammend them as an association. Well the housing market crashed and there has not been a house built in the neighborhood in over a year. We are wanting to put an above ground pool in but don't want to break the rules. We have been trying to get a hold of the builder to see if that can be changed or if we can have control to be able to ammend it as a neighborhood. The subdivision behind us allows them and we can see them from our windows anyway...so I don't know why it matters. So my question is....because we can't get a hold of the developer are we just stuck with those laws until we can (I don't even know if he is in business anymore) or is there anything we can do to have the by-laws disregarded or changed?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

JETX

So my question is....because we can't get a hold of the developer are we just stuck with those laws until we can (I don't even know if he is in business anymore) or is there anything we can do to have the by-laws disregarded or changed?
You MUST comply with the current HOA rules... whether you agree with them or not (You agreed when to comply when you signed the deed). Most HOA's in development stage allow for homeowners to have a minimal class vote... with the developer having the majority class. You need to READ your HOA rules and see what can be done to hold a vote on your request.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">