• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighboring Business- Unattended Car Alarm

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zips4life

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law): OHIO

My question involves real estate located in the State of Ohio, Summit County.

I am a homeowner and there is a construction yard/concrete company a street away from my house. There is some kind of car alarm emanating from their lot on a regular basis. It often occurs on weekends or nights when no one is working, so the alarm continues for 15-20 minutes and I assume shuts off on its own. I am writing fed up after being awoken at 3 am by their alarm the other night.

I know where it is coming from because this has been a problem probably since moving in back in 2010. I have walked out following the source of the noise and tracked it to their lot, however there is a large covered barbed wire fence around their lot so I can't see the actual car that has the alarm.

I have probably called the police 20 times about it since 2010, but it's obviously a low priority call and by the time they show up the alarm has stopped and there's nothing they can do. I have also attempted to contact the company and have left detailed voice mails telling them their alarm is going off (at 3 am) and disturbing me and asking if they can shut it off completely or at least make it less sensitive so it only goes off if someone is trying to steal their vehicle. I am a little cautious about dealing with this company. I hate to make generalizations, but the company has an Italian name and the area I live in has a bit of a mob past. The calls I made were anonymous because I fear any kind of reprisal.

Additionally, I don't live in the greatest neighborhood, most of the neighbors are renter types and I can only assume none of them really care or just accept the sound as an inevitable part of life out here. I actually moved into this house because it's closer to the law school I'll be attending in Fall and I come from an HOA-type suburbs neighborhood where nuisances are just unacceptable and viewed as a blight that hurts property values.

The thing about the alarm is I might not hear it for two weeks, then I hear it 2 or 3 times for a few days in a row, etc. So when I assume they finally dealt with the issue, then I hear the ear-splitting, migraine inducing "awoooo awooo awooo awooo" sound.

I wrote to city council, they have an online nuisance complaint form. I'm not sure what if anything they can do but at least there's a record of my complaint.

So I researched this kind of issue online and I believe maybe my next step is to file a lawsuit since I plan on living here for at least 3 more years and would like to enjoy some relative peace and quiet.

I believe I can file in small claims court for a maximum of $3000 damages or I can file in Common Pleas and get damages as well as a court order telling them not to let their alarm go off anymore. A suit will cost me like $200 which is worth it to never hear this sound again.

I also read I can ask for $20-$100 in damages for EACH time the alarm went off?

If I go this route, it seems like I need to start a fresh record of every time their alarm goes off unattended because other that the 3 am wake-up the other night, I haven't been recording anything.

Then how long should I wait to file once I accumulate a good long list of violations? Also, I'm thinking of various claims like "intentional infliction of emotional distress," "diminished property," and "trespass." Are these valid and perhaps are there others that apply? Can I claim IIED for the car alarm (it does disturb my sleep which in turn effects my mood).

Lastly, if I do draft my own civil complaint, should I name the company or the individuals linked to it?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law): OHIO

My question involves real estate located in the State of Ohio, Summit County.

I am a homeowner and there is a construction yard/concrete company a street away from my house. There is some kind of car alarm emanating from their lot on a regular basis. It often occurs on weekends or nights when no one is working, so the alarm continues for 15-20 minutes and I assume shuts off on its own. I am writing fed up after being awoken at 3 am by their alarm the other night.

I know where it is coming from because this has been a problem probably since moving in back in 2010. I have walked out following the source of the noise and tracked it to their lot, however there is a large covered barbed wire fence around their lot so I can't see the actual car that has the alarm.

I have probably called the police 20 times about it since 2010, but it's obviously a low priority call and by the time they show up the alarm has stopped and there's nothing they can do. I have also attempted to contact the company and have left detailed voice mails telling them their alarm is going off (at 3 am) and disturbing me and asking if they can shut it off completely or at least make it less sensitive so it only goes off if someone is trying to steal their vehicle. I am a little cautious about dealing with this company. I hate to make generalizations, but the company has an Italian name and the area I live in has a bit of a mob past. The calls I made were anonymous because I fear any kind of reprisal.

Additionally, I don't live in the greatest neighborhood, most of the neighbors are renter types and I can only assume none of them really care or just accept the sound as an inevitable part of life out here. I actually moved into this house because it's closer to the law school I'll be attending in Fall and I come from an HOA-type suburbs neighborhood where nuisances are just unacceptable and viewed as a blight that hurts property values.

The thing about the alarm is I might not hear it for two weeks, then I hear it 2 or 3 times for a few days in a row, etc. So when I assume they finally dealt with the issue, then I hear the ear-splitting, migraine inducing "awoooo awooo awooo awooo" sound.

I wrote to city council, they have an online nuisance complaint form. I'm not sure what if anything they can do but at least there's a record of my complaint.

So I researched this kind of issue online and I believe maybe my next step is to file a lawsuit since I plan on living here for at least 3 more years and would like to enjoy some relative peace and quiet.

I believe I can file in small claims court for a maximum of $3000 damages or I can file in Common Pleas and get damages as well as a court order telling them not to let their alarm go off anymore. A suit will cost me like $200 which is worth it to never hear this sound again.

I also read I can ask for $20-$100 in damages for EACH time the alarm went off?

If I go this route, it seems like I need to start a fresh record of every time their alarm goes off unattended because other that the 3 am wake-up the other night, I haven't been recording anything.

Then how long should I wait to file once I accumulate a good long list of violations? Also, I'm thinking of various claims like "intentional infliction of emotional distress," "diminished property," and "trespass." Are these valid and perhaps are there others that apply? Can I claim IIED for the car alarm (it does disturb my sleep which in turn effects my mood).

Lastly, if I do draft my own civil complaint, should I name the company or the individuals linked to it?

**A: have you talked to the owner/manager of the construction yard/company? If so, what was the result?

zips4life

No, I have not talked directly with any owner. I called their number as listed on the sign and in the phonebook and it always has gone to voicemail. I have left a few voicemails, as polite as possible (i.e. no profanity).

The thing is I dial *67 and do not leave a name or number, because like I said, I don't know who these people are and being right around the corner I do not want to open myself up to reprisals. I have pets too I'm afraid for.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No, I have not talked directly with any owner. I called their number as listed on the sign and in the phonebook and it always has gone to voicemail. I have left a few voicemails, as polite as possible (i.e. no profanity).

The thing is I dial *67 and do not leave a name or number, because like I said, I don't know who these people are and being right around the corner I do not want to open myself up to reprisals. I have pets too I'm afraid for.
Zippy the kangaroo is not a bigot nor should you be if you are really a zips for life. If you don't leave your name, why should anyone take you seriously? If you had a polite, mature conversation you might be able to solve this issue. Instead you hide by ethnic stereotypes and pathetic bigotry.

zips4life

I'm absolutely not a bigot, I'm just cautious because it is an Italian construction company and this immediately conjures images of union corruption, Jimmy Hoffa, cement shoes, kickbacks, and that sort of thing. The neighborhood I live in has had confirmed mafia activity at least in the 70s and I don't know it's current status. Blame the media and movies for me developing this sense of caution, not my own personal faults.

Italians aren't a protected class and I don't think they've been actually discriminated against since 1927.

I'm Polish, say whatever you want about that background and I won't be offended.

zips4life

See I came here for advice on how to deal with a genuine issue and now I'm on the defensive.

In my original post I stated I hated to generalize but I'm afraid I have to take such issues into account because I do not know these people, like I said before, the area has confirmed mob history this isn't some random ridiculous concern. More than likely (99%+) they're a non-criminal, law abiding (except for their noise violations) Italian-American family, but I don't want to make the mistake of crossing them if they are not.

So you suggest I give them my name and address and end up with a brick through the window or worse?

Never said anything bad about Italians in my life besides this post...my girlfriend is freaking Italian-American. I'm Polish, we're stupid and make submarines with screen doors...half Russian too, so call me a drunk. Don't be so sensitive.

I was told once some advice to "'never mess with anyone whose name ends in a vowel," that's why I included that statement.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Seems to me like you should move to a less scary place.

As to your problem...earplugs?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
But then you go on to emphasize your bigotry :rolleyes:
Or is it prejudice? He's prejudged an entire ethnic class by what he's seen elsewhere. :cool:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bigotry

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/prejudice

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Or is it prejudice? He's prejudged an entire ethnic class by what he's seen elsewhere. :cool:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bigotry

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/prejudice
Everyone has prejudices

It takes a special kind of person to be a bigot

zips4life

Bigot, that's a strong label based on what I believe is a legitimate concern because like I said several times, there was Italian organized crime in this area....which typically use businesses such as concrete companies, waste management, or construction as a front. Maybe I've been watching too much Sopranos lately but better safe than sorry.

I guess they're all bigots at the airport too when they give special security attention to individuals who fit the background of those who have executed terror attacks.

You Are Guilty

Guys, I am sorely disappointed in your (collective) Trolldar. A guy who is too afraid of those nasty Eye-tal-ians to leave his name or talk to them in person but wants to know how to file a civil complaint against them? "Oh, I'm so scared that they'll find out who is leaving them all those polite voicemails, but boy, I bet they'll be happy to find out who I am when I sue them"?

Really?

zips4life

I'm not a troll.

I'm genuinely sorry for ever bringing up the fact they are Italian. Italian people have contributed greatly to this country and I apologize for any insensitive remarks. I have no disrespect for Italian-Americans or any other ethnic group.

I see the damage it has done to my credibility and wish I would have just left it out. When I posted this I thought it might be slightly relevant because I am afraid of reprisals, the history of the area, and the industry this business is in.

If I file a complaint then I start the legal wheels turning and I think they would not do anything to me because it would further hurt their case and they'd be a suspect in any attack/vandalism/etc.

And earplugs? That's ridiculous. This business is breaking the law and needs to stop.

Antigone*

All rights peeps... it is way too early to start ticking off the trolls. Let's just end this now and all go Tony Soprano on him. Then we can all go out for Funsuckers!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">