• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors camera pointed just at us

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rl0tgrl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi
Hi.We live in Ms on the coast.We have had issues with our very young neighbors over the last couple of years.It started when someone tried to burn our home down and they were investigated.After that we installed a security camera by our front door.It watches our property and the street.It is not pointed at the neighbors house.Now they have a cameral that is pointed directly at us.It is not pointed at all to watch their own property.We don't do anything wrong but my daughter is 15 and knowing there is a man watching her anytime she is outside upsets her.We called the police and they warned us that they also have audio and are listening to us too.The police kind of laughed about it all and said it was a civil matter.Do we have a case against them for harrassment or can we send some type of letter demanding they position it in a way that its not watching just us?Any advice would be very helpful!

Eekamouse

Why were they investigated for the attempted arson? Were they charged with a crime? Sounds like there is more to this than what you've posted.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi
Hi.We live in Ms on the coast.We have had issues with our very young neighbors over the last couple of years.It started when someone tried to burn our home down and they were investigated.After that we installed a security camera by our front door.It watches our property and the street.It is not pointed at the neighbors house.Now they have a cameral that is pointed directly at us.It is not pointed at all to watch their own property.We don't do anything wrong but my daughter is 15 and knowing there is a man watching her anytime she is outside upsets her.We called the police and they warned us that they also have audio and are listening to us too.The police kind of laughed about it all and said it was a civil matter.Do we have a case against them for harrassment or can we send some type of letter demanding they position it in a way that its not watching just us?Any advice would be very helpful!
The camera and mics are on their property, they can have them pointed in the direction they wish. For all you know they are making you think they are recording but could be there just because they know if enflames you.

My advice to you is to waive whenever you are in the camera's view.:p

justalayman

they are likely in violation of the law if they record audio. To record a conversation, in MS, one must have the permission of at least one of the parties to the conversation.

there is also law limiting video recording if there is “ lewd, licentious or indecent intent” without that person’s consent while in a fitting room, tanning booth or area where there would be a reasonable expectation of privacy. Depending on the layout of the properties, it might be construed there is a reasonable expectation of privacy.

If they are recording the inside of the home, then it is quite likely they are in violation of the law.

there are both criminal and civil laws controlling the situation. Speak with an attorney from your area to determine if the laws are being violated given the specific situation.

Antigone*

they are likely in violation of the law if they record audio. To record a conversation, in MS, one must have the permission of at least one of the parties to the conversation.

there is also law limiting video recording if there is “ lewd, licentious or indecent intent” without that person’s consent while in a fitting room, tanning booth or area where there would be a reasonable expectation of privacy. Depending on the layout of the properties, it might be construed there is a reasonable expectation of privacy.

If they are recording the inside of the home, then it is quite likely they are in violation of the law.

there are both criminal and civil laws controlling the situation. Speak with an attorney from your area to determine if the laws are being violated given the specific situation.
However, they only "said" there was audio being recorded. No proof that the cameras are even recording.

justalayman

Wouldn't that have to be some pretty $ophisticated equipment, to record audio from "neighbor distance?"
all depends on what "neighbor distance" is. Some places, neighbor distance could be a couple miles. I've lived where I could touch my house and the neighbors house at the same time. But with that said, try video recording people with your phone sometime. I have inadvertently picked up conversations not realizing it would record somebody as far away as I was.

However, they only "said" there was audio being recorded. No proof that the cameras are even recording.
but they said that to the police apparently.

justalayman

A reasonable expectation of privacy includes having curtains on your windows.
to some extent, yes but there is also a reasonable expectation of privacy if one must make an effort to see within the house.

Also, using a means to view what may not be seen by the naked eye would be violating such a reasonable expectation of privacy. A camera can often "see" things not viewable by the naked eye.

FarmerJ

We dont like curtains here it blocks the view to all of our martian toga festivals during the banana moon cycle! OP has it occurred to you that they may have been talking lots of bovine excrement including the use of so called dummy cams ? ( Ax man stores down in the cities have dummy cams for i think 5.99 + tax )

jeanfranklynn

we had something similar happen only the neighbor was photographing/video taping not only us but our grandkids, I told him I didn't want him taking pictures of the kids because I didn't know if he was a pedophile, when he did not stop I called the sheriff and told him I didn't want pictures of the kids because of pedophiles and after that it stopped.

justalayman

we had something similar happen only the neighbor was photographing/video taping not only us but our grandkids, I told him I didn't want him taking pictures of the kids because I didn't know if he was a pedophile, when he did not stop I called the sheriff and told him I didn't want pictures of the kids because of pedophiles and after that it stopped.
that doesn't mean it had to though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">