+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Nothing Left is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4

    Unhappy Neighbors Chickens

    West Virginia

    Okay first off I would like to say I live in a nice neighborhood. Many people around, and certainly no farms, or anything like that are near. My neighbor seems to think he owns a farm or something. First off he has chickens/roosters/hens. These things disturb myself and everyone in the house. Why? They crow all day & night long. Ever watched a film where they only crow at the crack of dawn? Not these things. Its very hard to sleep around here with their constant crowing. Lets get into this thing. First off my neighbor tried to claim that he owned more land than he really did. We had it surveyed. There are lines and stuff all around displaying the property line. He had a pig he let run loose. Why this guy even owns animals like this I will never know. I think he likes to imagine hes living on a farm. To each his own, I guess. Heres where the problem is. The pig came on our property all the time. Messed up our yard, hit our house a couple times ramming some sort of bucket into it. We called the law a couple times about the pig constantly coming over, and our neighbor finally pinned it up. Now heres the big problem. Those darn chickens. We've called the law MANY times. They've showed up 2-3 times telling him to keep his chickens pinned up. He disregards everything they tell him. They're running around in my yard right now. They have torn our yard up. Our back yard is a MESS. There is also chicken feces all over my basketball court. We have pictures which we showed the law when they would come around. Also they walked out onto my court and saw it themselves. These neighbors also have cats. Now I like cats, but these ones are weird. I'm not even joking. They come over here JUST to use the bathroom where we have our flowers and such planted, then they leave.

    Yes, we've talked with the neighbor. He won't do anything about this. As I said above we eventually resorted to calling the law, they come talk to him, he doesn't care and just keeps doing what he wants. What can I do about this? The law is lazy and sometimes say they will be around and never show up. You have to constantly call and remind them to come. This has been going on WAY too long (years) and its really getting to me. I can't stand trying to sleep at night and all I hear is crowing. Also the tree they hop up and nest in, is on his property but the limb comes over the property line (the limb they sleep on). They're always over here. Someone please give some advice or what I can do before I lose my mind.
  2. #2
    xylene is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    St. Richard's
    Posts
    8,750
    Next time chickens comes over you have dinner.

    Get long chefs knife.

    Decapitate chicken, gut chicken, hang chicken, pluck chicken, roast chicken.

    Very easy.

    ---

    Spray cat with hose. Place feline repelant where they crap.

    Also very easy,
  3. #3
    Nothing Left is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by xylene View Post
    Next time chickens comes over you have dinner.

    Get long chefs knife.

    Decapitate chicken, gut chicken, hang chicken, pluck chicken, roast chicken.

    Very easy.

    ---

    Spray cat with hose. Place feline repelant where they crap.

    Also very easy,
    I can kill them? I do like chicken.

    Will try the cat repelant. Thanks.

    I'm trying to figure out what I can do. This is becoming insane. Our neighbor is mean anyway. I believe he's doing this stuff out of spite.
  4. #4
    xylene is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    St. Richard's
    Posts
    8,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Nothing Left View Post
    I can kill them? I do like chicken.

    Will try the cat repelant. Thanks.

    I'm trying to figure out what I can do. This is becoming insane. Our neighbor is mean anyway. I believe he's doing this stuff out of spite.
    A chicken can be killed pretty much with impunity. Meat is not animal cruelty.

    A chicken is livestock. At worst you have damaged your neighbor by like 10 bucks (value of a chicken). Suppose he sues. Big deal. AND he would be admitting in court that he is illegally keeping livestock...

    so either he learns to lock up his chickens or the authorities take his chickens...
  5. #5
    Nothing Left is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by xylene View Post
    A chicken can be killed pretty much with impunity. Meat is not animal cruelty.

    A chicken is livestock. At worst you have damaged your neighbor by like 10 bucks (value of a chicken). Suppose he sues. Big deal. AND he would be admitting in court that he is illegally keeping livestock...

    so either he learns to lock up his chickens or the authorities take his chickens...
    Thank you so much. Things will change from now on.
  6. #6
    Ozark_Sophist is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Missouri Ozarks
    Posts
    3,354
    Last time I was at the humane society, there were chickens in some of the kennels.
  7. #7
    xylene is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    St. Richard's
    Posts
    8,750
    That, at least in terms of WV law (and the law of many states) is a political decision.

    The laws of WV specifically exclude poultry and domestic fowl from animal cruelty. Killing a chicken in the typical way is not legal cruelty.

    The law treats loose poultry and nuisance livestock. The owner of the poultry could be found liable for the damages , and the poultry can be claimed as abandoned.

    Even if those did not apply, at best the poultry owner could hope to no more recover the value of the slaughtered poultry. A typical live adult chicken is worth no more than 10 dollars. As an example a very large heirloom chicken rooster (that happened to be the winner of best of show at the New York State Fair) was being sold for $45.
  8. #8
    FarmerJ is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    snowland
    Posts
    11,000
    I didnt see any where in your posting if you have verified with your city/county/ TWP or whom ever has the information as to how the property is zoned and what the zoning rules are ? If the properties zoning rules forbid farm type of animals then get all over elected officials about the lack of enforcement. If your in a semi rural or growing burb or county that still allows farm type animals then there is nothing you can to accept follow what ever laws address so called strays wandering onto other peoples property. Sad to say you might have to live with the cost of fencing in your property to keep them out. LASTLY , if your city /county govt allows it Maybe a pet weasel is the answer HAHAHAHA (just kidding)
  9. #9
    xylene is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    St. Richard's
    Posts
    8,750
    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerJ View Post
    I didnt see any where in your posting if you have verified with your city/county/ TWP or whom ever has the information as to how the property is zoned and what the zoning rules are ? If the properties zoning rules forbid farm type of animals then get all over elected officials about the lack of enforcement. If your in a semi rural or growing burb or county that still allows farm type animals then there is nothing you can to accept follow what ever laws address so called strays wandering onto other peoples property. Sad to say you might have to live with the cost of fencing in your property to keep them out. LASTLY , if your city /county govt allows it Maybe a pet weasel is the answer HAHAHAHA (just kidding)
    Either way, and especially if, keeping animals is allowed, it is the explicit requirement of the law of WV that owners of livestock, poultry and domestic fowl must keep them contained by a 'legal fence' and are liable for damage caused by escaped animals.

    The law specifically describes the circumstances by which ownership of livestock, poultry and domestic fowl can be transfer involuntarily. Stray nuisance stock can be claimed, and even wrongly claimed the owner has no recourse but suit for the value. The value of 1 chicken is very low.
  10. #10
    HomeGuru is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Catatonic State
    Posts
    81,918
    Wow, I see the 11 herbs and spices recipe used real soon.
  11. #11
    fairisfair is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,756
    how about a dog??. . . a big dog, one that hates. . . um. . . cats and chickens.
  12. #12
    Nothing Left is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by fairisfair View Post
    how about a dog??. . . a big dog, one that hates. . . um. . . cats and chickens.
    I like dogs, and the neighbors would probably find a way to kill it if it ate their chickens and cats, lol. If I got a dog and they killed it, some bad stuff would go down.
  13. #13
    TinkerBelleLuvr is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    With Capt'n Hook
    Posts
    11,353
    I would consider a chicken who wanders into my front yard as abandoned ... chicken soup ... roasted chicken ... wait ... couldnt' do all the stuff necessary to make it look like the ones that I purchase in store

    really - take it to the animal pound - enough of 'em show up and they'll have a 'come to farmer' meeting with your neighbor about how he's being a bit negligent in farm care.
  14. #14
    HomeGuru is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Catatonic State
    Posts
    81,918
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginny J View Post
    I would consider a chicken who wanders into my front yard as abandoned ... chicken soup ... roasted chicken ... wait ... couldnt' do all the stuff necessary to make it look like the ones that I purchase in store

    really - take it to the animal pound - enough of 'em show up and they'll have a 'come to farmer' meeting with your neighbor about how he's being a bit negligent in farm care.
    **A: I liked that come to farmer meeting term.
  15. #15
    JustAPal00 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,864
    Paint ball guns are great for unwanted varmints! Funny too!

Similar Threads

  1. Harrassment Citation for chickens
    By pampurr in forum Libel / Slander / Defamation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2010, 12:11 PM
  2. Dog kills chickens
    By awhit in forum Small Claims Courts
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-08-2009, 09:45 PM
  3. neighbors with chickens
    By juliajoe in forum Neighbors & Boundaries
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-04-2009, 02:06 PM
  4. Neighbors chickens causing damage
    By Tivona in forum Neighbors & Boundaries
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 08:25 PM
  5. Going to court over chickens!
    By XXChickensXX in forum Other Real Estate Law Questions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-05-2000, 05:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.