• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors chickens causing damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tivona

I live in rural Oregon. My neighbor has chickens that have caused damage to my garden. I lost a great deal to them digging up seeds, seedlings, and a number of plants as well as creating a good deal of mess. I have talked to them several times about keeping their chickens couped up but they seem to think their chickens are darling pets that should be allowed to roam.
My question is how to deal with their chickens. What am I allowed to do legally? When they are in my garden can I trap, kill, or have them shipped off by animal control, or anything else?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I live in rural Oregon. My neighbor has chickens that have caused damage to my garden. I lost a great deal to them digging up seeds, seedlings, and a number of plants as well as creating a good deal of mess. I have talked to them several times about keeping their chickens couped up but they seem to think their chickens are darling pets that should be allowed to roam.
My question is how to deal with their chickens. What am I allowed to do legally? When they are in my garden can I trap, kill, or have them shipped off by animal control, or anything else?
Plastic owls or blow-up snakes will scare chickens (available from most seed catalogs).

Kiawah

A 6" electric fence on your property would probably do it, you know, the one that you built to keep the dog you are going to get at some point in your yard !!

Cedrus

Perhaps a wire cage trap baited with something and the door closes when said fowl enters. You can drive the foul fowl about 5 - 10 miles away and release.

Hide the cage somehow so the neighbor does not see it. After 5 trips or so the neighbor will see the light. Or go to the feed store for more chickens.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">