• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor's dogs killed my cat

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IOWA
Neighbors across the road from me have dogs that allowed to run loose. This is a small rural town in a small county. I would like to know what options I have. The city has chosen not to take any action because that is one of their options. I've contacted county, state agencies. They all tell me I must got to civil court at my expense. I have already gone to the expense of putting up a 5 hot wire fence across my property, trying to keep vigilance so another cat won't be killed. It doesn't matter that the cats are kept in a building most of the time and they don't stray. The dogs have become more agressive coming directly at me, owners have seen this and stop the dogs. I don't have the energy it is taking to be aware of these dogs, I am 70. These people don't have money. Any advice, this is my last try.:mad:

TigerD

Next time, your neighbors dog's are in your house killing your cat -- shoot them.

If your cats was running loose: pot meet kettle

TD

melina

Next time, your neighbors dog's are in your house killing your cat -- shoot them.

If your cats was running loose: pot meet kettle

TD
My cats were on my property, always are, do not roam except on our 10 acres. I don't own a gun, I don't know how to shoot one, the risk of a stray bullet is too high as there are children on their property. I do carry a pepper spray cannister for my own safety now, after they have come at me. What would you do? Would you set in a chair 16hrs a day with your gun watching for the dogs to come over? I am a responsible pet owner, they are not. I was hoping for an intelligent solution.

FarmerJ

Does your city have a ordinance that spells out what can happen with dogs who are at large ? ( able to run off their owners land onto anothers and cause death or injury to another persons animals ? Your city hall can tell you if there is such a ordinance and then if there is yes they have to act.

TigerD

My cats were on my property, always are, do not roam except on our 10 acres. I don't own a gun, I don't know how to shoot one, the risk of a stray bullet is too high as there are children on their property. I do carry a pepper spray cannister for my own safety now, after they have come at me. What would you do? Would you set in a chair 16hrs a day with your gun watching for the dogs to come over? I am a responsible pet owner, they are not. I was hoping for an intelligent solution.
1. No you are not. Keep your cat in your house.
2. Cats roam outside.
3. The intelligent answer should have been obvious - secure your own animals first.

TD

melina

Does your city have a ordinance that spells out what can happen with dogs who are at large ? ( able to run off their owners land onto anothers and cause death or injury to another persons animals ? Your city hall can tell you if there is such a ordinance and then if there is yes they have to act.
There is no enforcement of the of the codes for dogs running loose. I've checked all resources, only option was to file a claim in civil court. I came here looking another option if there is any. I don't understand why posters are so critical of me, my cats do not roam, neighbors dogs do roam.

melina

1. No you are not. Keep your cat in your house.
2. Cats roam outside.
3. The intelligent answer should have been obvious - secure your own animals first.

TD
Are you serious????????? My horses are in a secured fenced pasture. My dogs are in a fenced back yard. My cats stay in our yard and pasture. I thought I would find intelligent advice but I was wrong.

melina

Yes the town has ordinances but do not enforce them. City attorney said they are not required to enforce them. County has no jurisdiction. State level requires going to court. City required dog owner to bring in the 2 dogs for vaccination. This is why I came here. The dog owner has no money, going to court would be a waste of money. I've already spent alot of money to my property to keep dogs out, they manage to get in as I have 10 acres. I guess I will have to wait til the dogs find another entry and let them attack me, if I survive, I might get action.

Proserpina

Yes the town has ordinances but do not enforce them. City attorney said they are not required to enforce them. County has no jurisdiction. State level requires going to court. City required dog owner to bring in the 2 dogs for vaccination. This is why I came here. The dog owner has no money, going to court would be a waste of money. I've already spent alot of money to my property to keep dogs out, they manage to get in as I have 10 acres. I guess I will have to wait til the dogs find another entry and let them attack me, if I survive, I might get action.
That's unfortunately how things go.

You can't force anyone to ... well, enforce ... and you can't get blood from a rock.

Be aware that putting yourself in danger doesn't generally work so well either.

(And yes, I know you're venting)

melina

Yes, my husband had to pull her body out of their mouths. I think most people think my cats were the ordinary outdoor cats having kittens twice a year, that is not the case, they have all (now 4) been neutered/spayed and have regular vet care along with Frontline. One of them had an urinary infection which cost $1400 for 2 episodes. Why isn't there a law to punish those who were responsible for my cat's death.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, my husband had to pull her body out of their mouths. I think most people think my cats were the ordinary outdoor cats having kittens twice a year, that is not the case, they have all (now 4) been neutered/spayed and have regular vet care along with Frontline. One of them had an urinary infection which cost $1400 for 2 episodes. Why isn't there a law to punish those who were responsible for my cat's death.
There IS a law, your municipality simply chooses not to enforce it. Keep making noise - attend meetings, etc. Maybe take it to the press.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">