• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor's drainage pipe constantly leaks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

usafdrew

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I live on a cookie-cutter street where all homes are the same and all have a drainage pipe which empties into the gutter from a french drian in the backyard. My neighbor's 4" PVC pipe, at least I am 90% sure it's hers, was sticking out of the ground towards the gutter when I moved in. I found this to be an eyesore as our homes are all zero-lot-line so the pipe was right on the property line. When I asked her whos pipe it was, she replied it was mine. So I then began the laborious process of digging through GA clay to bury it and make a nice transition to the gutter. Since then I have determined that this is most likely her pipe as all homes have the pipe on the same side.

Problem is that now, for some reason, this pipe of hers is constantly leaking water into the gutter to where there is a big puddle at her driveway and the gutter is always filled up with a mix of water, slime and debris. I do not see how I could have done this just from burying the pipe ( I did not break any water lines). Something else I noticed is that right on my property line where the pipe runs down, there is starting to form a big sinkhole. I am sure these two things are related and I assume the pipe is broken in that spot and there is constant drainage from her french drain (which she removed) and it is washing away my soil.

Like I said I am 90% sure now that this is her pipe, but I don't have any type of plans that would show for sure. My pipe is buried on the other side of the home and I'm not going to dig up my french drain to determine which side it empties to. I plan on digging up the sinkhole in my yard to fix the broken pipe, but I don't think that'll stop the constant leaking. What to do about that?

154NH773

I plan on digging up the sinkhole in my yard to fix the broken pipe,
Once you determine where the sinkhole and water are coming from, you will have a better idea if this is an engineering or legal problem. I think you should ask again when you know, but until then I'm sure others will jump in with their advice.

your houses are adjoining, it is not a big deal.you know the suit cost is not low , why you not to buy her a new drainage pipe or ask a repairman to fix this problem .friendship is priceless

FarmerJ

If there is water constantly how does it compare to others on the street ? are you all on city water and sewer ? if your not and on private septic and well then I would wonder if she might be running say laundry / shower water somehow into it ?

THE POST HERE SAYS I found this to be AN EYESORE as our homes are all zero-lot-line so the pipe was right on the property line.

YOU SAY HERE if she might be running sayLAUNDRY/ SHOWER WATER somehow into it ?

It seems the truth is exaggerated

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">