• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbor's fence by my driveway damaged

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bridgeboy52

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

Hi all,
I have a neighbor who has a fence 4" inside her property line, and close to my driveway. The front most endpost of it was damaged lightly at some point in the last week, probably by a car from my driveway since her driveway is too far away. I am certain it was not me or anyone in my house (3 total cars) but I could be wrong. Nevertheless, something like this happened once before, and I ponied up the repair cost to be a good neighbor. At this point, I'm moving away, and this neighbor, who has been a pain from day 1 on everything, I don't care about upkeeping good relations with anymore. Am I responsible for this damage which may have been anyone who came into the driveway?

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

Hi all,
I have a neighbor who has a fence 4" inside her property line, and close to my driveway. The front most endpost of it was damaged lightly at some point in the last week, probably by a car from my driveway since her driveway is too far away. I am certain it was not me or anyone in my house (3 total cars) but I could be wrong. Nevertheless, something like this happened once before, and I ponied up the repair cost to be a good neighbor. At this point, I'm moving away, and this neighbor, who has been a pain from day 1 on everything, I don't care about upkeeping good relations with anymore. Am I responsible for this damage which may have been anyone who came into the driveway?

Thanks,
Dan
So someone who came to your home, be it a resident, guest or licensee, damaged the neighbor's property? You could be found to be responsible depending on what evidence exists that it was someone at your residence that did this.

bridgeboy52

Hi all,
OK so basically, if it looks 90% that the damage was from someone on my driveway, whoever it is, I'm responsible. If that's the case, it seems cheaper to just pay for the fence damage than to let it draw out.

Thanks,
Dan

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Hi all,
OK so basically, if it looks 90% that the damage was from someone on my driveway, whoever it is, I'm responsible. If that's the case, it seems cheaper to just pay for the fence damage than to let it draw out.

Thanks,
Dan
No, I did not say that. If it is someone that is at your residence you COULD be held responsible depending on the evidence. The neighbor cannot just assume you did it but would need to prove that you or someone at your residence did so. Then it depends on the age of the individual, who they were (guest, licensee, resident), how they did it (driving your vehicle with your permission or operating as your agent even if in their vehicle) and other facts that you have not shared. How do you know it was not weather related or a wild animal or a vehicle using your driveway to turnaround without your permission or various other things. Apparently YOU believe someone at your home did this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">