• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors fence on my property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Meshka33

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

So about a year ago my neighbor came over to inform us he was putting up a fence. My husband told him that our fence was 4" inside the property line and that if he was to put up a fence to make sure not to adjoin his fence to ours otherwise it would be an encroachment.
Well you can guess what happened next. My husband call the land surveyor and had him measure and indeed there is an encroachment of about 6", however the the encroachment is on a 12" section of the fence because our neighbor when installing the fence did not create a straightline with his fence.
He adjoined to our fence and started to angle the fence towards his property.
we have the right to ask him in writing to remove it, proof with then land survey, but this guy is a wacko, loud music, mows his lawn at 3am, sets his car alarm off and let's it go and go....along with honking his horn. He is a terror, has a arrest record for drugs, etc he fatherr owns the home and bought it cash, so this guy isn't going anywhere and it's sad because it was such a nice neighborhood.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

So about a year ago my neighbor came over to inform us he was putting up a fence. My husband told him that our fence was 4" inside the property line and that if he was to put up a fence to make sure not to adjoin his fence to ours otherwise it would be an encroachment.
Well you can guess what happened next. My husband call the land surveyor and had him measure and indeed there is an encroachment of about 6", however the the encroachment is on a 12" section of the fence because our neighbor when installing the fence did not create a straightline with his fence.
He adjoined to our fence and started to angle the fence towards his property.
we have the right to ask him in writing to remove it, proof with then land survey, but this guy is a wacko, loud music, mows his lawn at 3am, sets his car alarm off and let's it go and go....along with honking his horn. He is a terror, has a arrest record for drugs, etc he fatherr owns the home and bought it cash, so this guy isn't going anywhere and it's sad because it was such a nice neighborhood.
**A: ok, thanks for sharing.

drewguy

You have a choice:
(1) write a letter requesting him to move the fence, or stating that you will do it after X days and then bill him for the cost, and then suffer whatever consequences to your relationship as neighbors
(2) Let it go, and potentially put in writing permission to have the fence encroach for now so that he doesn't have a claim for adverse possession.

csi7

Depending on where you live, whether it is inside a city limits or in the county, and what the rules are for putting up fences, you may be able to file a complaint.

With this kind of neighbor, since "daddy" owns the property, I'd suggest sending written complaint to said owner of property with attached photos of the clearly marked property survey and regulations that apply in your county.

I would suggest media involvement if this does not work.

HuAi

Many townships require a permit to build a fence (which includes him paying for the survey and respecting minimum distance offsets). Inquire with the building department if he got one. They may be able to solve the problem for you.

nextwife

Many townships require a permit to build a fence (which includes him paying for the survey and respecting minimum distance offsets). Inquire with the building department if he got one. They may be able to solve the problem for you.
Agreed. I see many communities imposing survey requirements for fence permits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">