• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbor's friends slashed my tires over calling the police

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iditarod656

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NV

Hello,

I've had a problem with noisy neighbors for the last 2 years. They party outside my condo several times a week. Sometimes they start in the afternoon with a nice yelling fest right outside our bedroom window, then work up to a real party with loud booming car stereos. They move farther away from the building for that, but it doesn't make much difference. I've asked them nicely, many many times, to keep the noise down. I've asked my landlord to talk to them about it, and it made no difference. They just do not care.

So I finally started calling the police about it. The first two times I called 311, and they sent out the nice congenial officers who want everyone to get along. The first one told me they have a right to party there (most of them don't even live here),
and I should use earplugs. Great, at least they got the music turned off that time. The second time I called (Feb 16), they sent out 2 officers, who went and talked to them, and came back to me with a neighbor who had not even been involved in the partying. She then said to me: "Why didn't you come to me about it?" and then the officer proceeded to have us talk, which really meant that every time I tried to say something, she just cut me off, and wouldn't let me get a word in edgewise.

Ok, this "Why didn't you come to me about it?" is actually a game they all play. A former neighbor who got evicted (also a friend of this neighbor) said to me that I should always come to him about it. (I had just called the security guard that time, about his loud party at 10 pm). What that really does is, put the responsibility on me every time, when the way it should work is, I ask for the noise to be turned down, and then they remember not to do it again the next time. And I've already been there, done that, many times.

So on the morning of the 17th, another one of her friends came and asked me why I call the police, said that I should come to him when the noise is too loud, and kept interrupting me any time I tried to say anything. I should go to him? I asked him who he was, as I had never seen him before, and he had no answer to that.

So the evening of the 17th, they had an even bigger, noisier party. It was held in front this neighbors condo, outside on the sidewalk, and also to the east of our building on the sidewalk. I called the police in such a way that they heard me do it,
and I got yelled at to "Shut the F*** up." Then this same person ( a woman I've seen many times on my neighbor's balcony), got into a screaming fight with someone outside our condo, so I called 911 this time, and they upgraded the situation.

When the officer came out, the screaming fight was over, but she noted that my tires had been slashed. She had a very long talk with the neighbor who had said I should come to her, the day before. The officer then came back and said she denied everything, but gave me a red card. The red card means I can now call the police and ask for a white card if there are any more problems with noise, and enough white cards in a month can get them evicted. But she also told me I need
to make the noise complaints anonymously from now on for my own safety.

Ok, I gave the red card to the HOA, and made a complaint. They are not the ones to do anything about it though, the owner is. I now have the owner's name and address, in Los Angeles.

Would this be a good time to write to the owner? This female neighbor has not been much of a problem herself, except for some minor harassment, but her friends who don't live here are a constant problem. And she has now officially taken
responsibility for them by saying "Why didn't you come to me?"

Thanks for your thoughts!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There is only one spot you mentioned a specific time (10pm) - the other mention you make is "afternoon". They ARE allowed to "party" in the afternoon...why do you think otherwise?

iditarod656

Are they allowed to "party" so loudly, right outside my condo, that my walls shake?
Are they allowed to gather and yell for lengthy periods right outside my bedroom window?
This has been going on for two years.

Do you know the noise regulations for Nevada?
I was told by the police that I can call about noise problems at any time of the day or night.

I have no proof of who it was that slashed my tires, but it's clear it was someone in this group of partiers.

I want to ask the owner of that condo to write a letter to my neighbor, telling her to tell her friends
to keep the noise down, and to stay away from my car.

Would there be any potential legal problems if I do that? That is what I would like to know.

STEPHAN

I want to ask the owner of that condo to write a letter to my neighbor, telling her to tell her friends
to keep the noise down, and to stay away from my car.
Are there other neighbors complaining, too? Or are you the only one?

iditarod656

When the officer came out about the screaming fight, she told me that another person had made an anonymous call about the noise too.
I believe that was from the people who live over me.

quincy

Do you know the noise regulations for Nevada? ...

...I have no proof of who it was that slashed my tires ...
You will need to contact or visit your city or township office to find out what is covered under your local noise ordinance.

You can file a police report on the slashed tires but, without knowing who slashed them, there is little else you can do. If your car is parked in an area where a surveillance camera can be positioned, that might prevent future damage (or at least allow you to identify the one who does the damage).

iditarod656

What I want to do is write a letter to her actual landlord, and ask the landlord to write her a letter telling her to tell her friends to keep the noise down, and to stay away from my car.

What I want to know is: Could there be any legal problems from doing this?

PS: I already know the nevada noise ordinances are very vague. Basically it's anything that disturbs the peace. Ok, yes they disturb the peace, over and over again.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">